Paul E. Morph's Reviews > Sand and Foam

Sand and Foam by Kahlil Gibran

it was ok
bookshelves: books-read-in-2018

I bought this book (don't worry; I didn't pay much for it) under the impression it was a collection of poetry. It is not. I know, I know... I should have looked into it more. #researchfail

What it actually is is a collection of... how shall I put this?... pieces of personal philosophy. Or, slightly less generously but far more honestly, a seemingly unending string of trite platitudes.

I buddy read this with my wife and her reaction was 'Oh my god I feel like I've just read a thousand refrigerator magnets!' She's not wrong.

I gave it two stars because there are actually a few nuggets of genuine wisdom hidden amongst the lazily conceived drivel. I can't give it any more than that due to my suspicion that the old saw about even broken clocks being right twice a day might apply here.

If you're stoned off your tits you might find this book 'really far out, maaan'. If not, seek out an actual poetry collection, as I should have.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sand and Foam.

March 13, 2016 – Shelved
March 13, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 17, 2018 – Started Reading
January 17, 2018 –
15.0% "My first step on my quest to read more poetry this year..."
January 17, 2018 – Shelved as: books-read-in-2018
January 17, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Trish (new)

Trish Oh dear. *facepalm*

Paul E. Morph Ayuh.

message 3: by Sud666 (new)

Sud666 oooooooh trite platitudes!!!!! My favorite :)

Paul E. Morph Knock yourself out, mate. :-)

message 5: by Trish (new)

Trish Well, at least you didn't spend too much money on it.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan Budd That's exactly how I felt when reading The Prophet.

Paul E. Morph Trish wrote: "Well, at least you didn't spend too much money on it."

£1.99

Paul E. Morph Susan wrote: "That's exactly how I felt when reading The Prophet."

Oh, good. That one's staring at me from the shelf as we speak...

message 9: by Nameeta (new)

Nameeta Read a thousand refrigerator magnets :D

message 10: by Paul (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paul E. Morph :-D

message 11: by Trish (new)

Trish Paul wrote: "Trish wrote: "Well, at least you didn't spend too much money on it."

£1.99"

Better than £19.99. Yes, I'm aware I'm maniacally trying to stay positive.

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan Budd Paul wrote: "Oh, good. That one's staring at me from the shelf as we speak..."

I had such high hopes for Gibran's books that I bought the beautiful hardcover Everyman's Library edition of The Collected Works, but after reading The Prophet and skimming a few of the others, I decided to donate the book.

message 13: by Paul (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paul E. Morph Oh, dear. Maybe somebody will enjoy it.

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan Budd For anyone disappointed with Gibran, I would suggest Juan Mascaró's translation of the Dhammapada and Rabindranath Tagore's Gitanjali.

message 15: by Paul (last edited Jan 18, 2018 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paul E. Morph Thanks for the recommendations! I actually read the Dhammapada back in school but I'm uncertain of the translation.