Mouse's Reviews > Make Me, Sir

Make Me, Sir by Cherise Sinclair

Mar 30, 2011

Read in March, 2011

I really like this series and I really like Cherise Sinclair. She’s an auto buy for me. She’s a great storyteller and had beautiful writing.

I also really enjoyed the set up of this particular book. She’s a submissive without extensive experience who goes undercover to play a bratty sub. Knowing full well that she’ll be punished for it. The tension was there before she even walked in, which was great. And she wasn't a pain-whore, so when Gabrielle does receive punishment, the reader feels for her. This, of course, is tempered with a lighter touch from Marcus as well. So it's not all "punishment, punishment, punishment."

Why this was a 4 instead of a 5 for me:

There were two very minor things that I didn’t like.

1. There was a scene where Gabrielle is in the BDSM club and pickpockets the keys of another submissive just to show (1) she can and (2) for foreshadowing. Which I totally got the point, but I was yelling: Oh, NO SHE DIDN’T.

BECAUSE. First off, the sub in question wouldn’t have keys. Probably wouldn’t even have clothes on. And we’ve made this point with the last book. The whole ending of which centered around said sub accidentally leaving her locker combination out in the open. Do we not remember this?

If Sinclair needed to show the pick-pocketing ability (which she did) there were plenty of other opportunities outside the club. I just didn’t buy the setup.

2. The scene where she’s talking to Marcus about REALLY PERSONAL THINGS in front of his grandparents had me squicking out. I mean, it was totally gross. Here Gabrielle is meeting his grandparents for the first time and he’s talking about sex, BDSM, and his previous girlfriend. I sort of vomited a little in my mouth. Hello, privacy?

Those points aside (because I could have overlooked them) what the 4 really came down to is my gut reaction to the book. This book didn’t feel like a 5. There was something not there. Some missing emotion. Something.

I keep going back to Breaking Free with Nolan and Beth (that I gave a 4 as well). There was such an emotional pull there. I actually felt when Nolan was able to get into Beth’s head. That was missing here.

I really did enjoy this book overall and recommend it.

www.theanonymousmouse.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Make Me, Sir.