Debbie McGowan's Reviews > Finding Home

Finding Home by Phetra H. Novak

What a unique story! It's very Swedish (because, obviously, spending three days in the place makes me an authority), and that is one of its greatest strengths. Like that odd sort-of-American accent that plagues rock and rap music, most authors, regardless of their geographical origin / affiliation, write stories that are Americanised in terms of the characters, setting, interactions, values, social situations, and so on.

This is not the case with 'Finding Home'. The story is set in Gothenburg, and Luca - the main character - is very 'Swedish'. Indeed, I'd go as far as to say he's very 'Gothenburgian' or whatever it's called, which makes Finding Home not only a great story in its own right, but a culturally significant contribution to LGBTQ literature.

Is it an MM Romance? Well, it's about two young men who build a friendship and a romantic relationship, but it's much more than this. It's a story of personal growth, self-acceptance, and standing up to those who should be our closest allies but sadly sometimes are not. To my mind, the romance, whilst being the driver for Luca's growth, is not the driver of the story, but it is integral to the plot, which builds towards a happy ending.

Ultimately, there were a few ways the story could have concluded, and the way it did wasn't entirely surprising, although I did expect it to happen differently. I was with Luca every step of the way - I'm still trying to decide if he's got mild autism - and I adored Kit and Soren. As for Anders... Give me his address, and I'll gladly have 'a word' with him.

All in all, this is a story that will read as 'quirky' to many, because the culture shines through in every way, including the language used to tell the story. It's grammatically correct, and I know the author has worked with a few native English speakers to iron out the bigger creases, but different languages lead to different ways of structuring thought, and I sensed this as I read, which was actually rather cool!

I really enjoyed this novel, so much so, I woke up this morning far too excited to leave the final 20% until bedtime, so I had a lie-in and finished it. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Home.

March 13, 2016 – Shelved
March 13, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
April 6, 2016 – Started Reading
April 6, 2016 –
April 13, 2016 –
April 19, 2016 –
31.0% "I do not like Luca's dad. At all."
April 24, 2016 –
April 29, 2016 –
57.0% "Crazy busy week. :/"
May 1, 2016 –