Kailey (BooksforMKs)'s Reviews > The Evil Wizard Smallbone

The Evil Wizard Smallbone by Delia Sherman

bookshelves: on-my-kindle

Nick runs away from his abusive uncle, only to fall into the hands of an evil wizard! Nick is forced to become Smallbone's apprentice, but the old man refuses to teach him any magic. Unraveling the secrets of the Evil Wizard Bookshop and the mysterious town of Smallbone Cove, Nick will have to outwit his master before an even more evil wizard, Fidelou, terrorizes and destroys the entire town.

I am delighted with this whimsical tale of wizardry! I love the enchanted town of Smallbone Cove and the rich history of the people there. I love how grumpy and enigmatic Smallbone is, because we slowly discover that he has a heart of gold underneath. I love the twisty plot with all kinds of weird surprises. I like the writing style too! There's a lot of dry humor and snappy dialogue.

And I like the main character, Nick. He's stubborn and rude and scrappy. He acts tough, but can also be gentle and kind. He gets bored and impatient, but also knows how to work hard. He has some good character development, and I enjoyed discovering the magic system along with him.

Such a fun read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Evil Wizard Smallbone.

March 12, 2016 – Shelved
March 12, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 27, 2017 – Shelved as: on-my-kindle
May 27, 2019 – Started Reading
May 28, 2019 –
14.0% "This is wacky and weird, and I love it so far!"
May 28, 2019 –
May 29, 2019 –
May 31, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Charly Troff (ReaderTurnedWriter) Sounds fun! I love that cover 😍

Kailey (BooksforMKs) Oh, this was a total cover buy, which turned out to have a great story inside!