Leigh Kramer's Reviews > Assimilate or Go Home: Notes from a Failed Missionary on Rediscovering Faith

Assimilate or Go Home by D.L. Mayfield

I first came across DL Mayfield on McSweeney's. Her essays about living among refugees were stunning and I swiftly followed her on Twitter, ready to read whatever she'd give us. A few years have since passed and it was a thrill to read her book. Some of those essays from McSweeney's make an appearance, although they seem to have been expanded. I was impressed with Danielle's vulnerability: the way she lays bear her old assumptions and how this impacted her relationship with her refugee friends, the way she discusses her struggles and her privilege, her honesty about her doubts. In Assimilate Or Go Home, she avoids the voyeurism that is so often present in missionary accounts and instead challenges us as readers to consider our own assumptions, judgments, and privilege in our day to day lives. Well worth reading.

Disclosure: I received an ARC from HarperCollins in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assimilate or Go Home.

March 12, 2016 – Shelved