Kim's Reviews > A Reckoning in Belvoir

A Reckoning in Belvoir by S.A. Huggins

Mar 30, 2011

This was a really interesting read, unlike anything I have read before. The author instantly drew me into the time of the events, making me feel as if I were in the story itself. Set in the time of the Civil War, the story follows the stories of the Randolph's and the slaves on their plantation. In their midst is a slave killer who kills and leaves the bodies in the most gruesome of ways. As the story unfolded, the stories of the white slave owner's wife and the black slave are both integral to the ending of the killings at the farm in ways neither woman would ever have believed possible.

The book is very well-written, almost written in the style of books penned in that era. The author is gifted at being able to pull a reader into the story, making you feel as if you are present in the story. That is something I generally don't experience in the historical genres. The characters, although from a different time and lifestyle, were extremely relatable, allowing you to feel their emotions as you read their stories. These things, combined with the author's incredible descriptiveness, made for a very interesting read. If you like historical suspense, then this is the book for you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Reckoning in Belvoir.