Brooke Hargett's Reviews > Rigged: The True Story of an Ivy League Kid Who Changed the World of Oil, from Wall Street to Dubai

Rigged by Ben Mezrich

Mar 30, 2011

bookshelves: favorites

I loved this book! I read it in two days and was totally intrigued the whole time.
I am a sucker for stories of rags to riches- young and passionate people who want to change the world and work their asses off to get there against insurmountable odds. It's the american dream. And the best part? Its a true story!
The main character, David Russo (name changed from the actual guy, whose name is John D'Agostino) is a Italian-American Harvard grad from Brooklyn who is a hardworking, very intelligent smart-ass. He gets a crazy change to work at the Mercantile Exchange and from there he is on a fast paced ride upwards that takes him to amazing places, specifically Dubai, on a path to DO SOMETHING great.
I loved the way Ben Mezrich wrote this book- I seriously couldn't put it down. It was snappy and funny, while keeping me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I loved the adrenaline fueled pace of someone who comes from a humble background, knowing they have nothing to lose. This guy had character and guts. I loved his in-your-face attitude and his determination.
I loved learning about Dubai and frankly it made me want to go there to visit. I thought Ben Mezrich did a great job explaining the NYMEX without confusing readers, and explaining the absolute necessity of oil and natural gas to the modern world. The cultural differences were very interesting to me to read about. I also thought he did a good job describing the sentiments of people on all sides after 9/11. It would be hard to write about this subject matter and not step on any toes. I thought he did a great job presenting the different perspectives and prejudices from all sides. I liked the idea expressed by Khaled that prejudices can only be replaced when there is something positive to focus on. "You change people's minds by giving them a future."
I loved Khaled, who was so grateful for the opportunities afforded him through his uncle's money. It would have been so easy for him to get sucked into a lifestyle of luxury but rather, he saw the bigger picture and knew that he had the means to make changes to the world that would positively benefit many of those around him.
I will definitely pick up other books by Ben Mezrich, starting with Bringing Down the House, which I'm not sure why I haven't read....
LOVED this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rigged.