C.G. Drews's Reviews > A Gathering of Shadows

A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab

bookshelves: 5-star, magical-fantasy, read-2016, young-adult, best-of-2016, audio-books, read-2017, reread
Recommended to C.G. by: Maraia
Read 2 times. Last read July 15, 2017 to August 3, 2017.

Reread July 2017:

Ohhhh good book is GOOD the second time round too. Who'd have though, right?!? I'm so glad I'm rereading this series as it's basically my FAVOURITE and I am trash for anything Schwab writes. Also can she please chill on hurting the precious magical children. I love them. And it's raining on my face.

Smol List Of Loves In The Reread:
• basically Kell x Lila refusing to acknowledge they have FEELINGS
• so adorable. ship it
• also Older Protective Brother Kell™ is my favourite
• i have so much love and respect for the world building in this book...it is so fine. The Londons just seem to SPARKLE OFF THE PAGE and also just the details that make the other countries stand out is really great writing
• I want to take a moment to acknowledge Tirin (sorrry I have no idea how his name is spelt #audiobookproblems) and how the prince brothers are giving him grey hair and all he does for them
• Rhy being a sassy little bucket is the best.
• Rhy and Kell being moody but sassy and aggressively caring for each other is also the best.
• TOTAL LOVE for how Schwab writes her characters. I care about them so much and they really carry the entire story and make my heart so full.
• ALSO FEELINGS = HURT.
• Loved it.

My only note is that: I listened to the audiobook and have to admit...I didn't like it. This could be partially because I had a bad experience reading Well of Ascension which has the same male narrator?? I hated WoA (and got aggressively abused for my dislike of it on twitter) and so it was kind of flashbacks to that. Plus he gave Rhy this total SNOB voice and it was irritating. But the female narrator also annoyed me for making all the male voices so weird. Aaaanyway obviously it didn't dampen my enjoyment!! But definitely prefer the dude who did ADSOM why didn't they keep him omg.

------

ORIGINAL REVIEW: MARCH 2016:

So basically I JUST READ THE MOST WONDERFUL STORY. And by "wonderful" I mean "freakishly feels punching" -- BUT IN THE BEST WAY EVER. Like I actually expected to be more stressed out by it than I was? So either a) I'm more Vulcan than I thought, or b) I'm immune to stress because BOOKS KEEP FREAKING DESTROYING ME.

(But I love them for it. <33)

Ahhhhem. SO! Where do I even start with shrieking about this masterpiece?! first off: I think it should be noted that this is more CHARACTER focused than plot. Which I exactly loved. LOVED, I TELL YOU. AFJDLSAKFDJK. Characters are the best, and I love it when a book manages to weave an interesting but not overwhelming plot and focus on developing the characters. It also centers around this magician "game/tournament" thing, which isn't exactly original? But I still liked it. I'm a sucker for people punching each other magically I guess.

And since it was charactery (that's a word, shhhh) let's have a brief look at all the darling dangerous scary babies:

• KELL: Who is my UTTER favourite. I just adore how he can be kind of moody and sullen and always frowns (<3 I relate) and yet have grand moments of witty sarcastic banter...PLUS he is freaking DEDICATED to loving his brother. Do you know what always slays me? BROTHER BOOKS. I love it when brothers annoy the heck out of each other BUT STILL WOULD DIE FOR EACH OTHER. Kell = my favourite of mostly ever. And he is in such pain in this book. He's having a mid-life-Antari-crisis.
• RHY: Thank goodness to all that is Victoria and Schwaby that we get MORE OF RHY. He gets tons of POV chapters and ... dude is an alchoholic. Both he and Kell are really SUFFERING for what they did in A Darker Shade of Magic (little darling idiots) and it fairly covers everything they do. All the partying of Rhy and the quips and the flippant attitude? IT MASKS HIS POOR SAD SOUL. And I love how the book never fell into whiny/angst. MASTER. WRITER. ALERT. HERE.
LILA: Ohhh, Lila. She made me HOWL with laughter. Is it possibly she's gotten more pointy?! She (sort of) got her pirate dreams and she's more mysteriously magical and OH. SHE IS A ROTTEN JERK AT TIMES. She is 100% in denial that she likes Kell. Hmmph. I do love Lila an enormous amount but sometimes her utter coldness was a bit hard? Like Kell isn't gooey sunshine either, but he still manages to melt my heart. Lila just doesn't have a venerable side and I think that makes her harder to relate to?
EMERY: So this is a new character! I get nervous at new-but-important characters being introduced mid series...BUT HE WAS AWESOME. He is very very mysterious and curious and it took me a while to know if I liked him but I most certainly do and I even ship (view spoiler)

Also, the King and Queen are mean melon heads to be mean to Kell. Just sayin'.

Also did VE Schwab invent a language for this series????? BECAUSE WOW.

There's quite a torturous cliffhanger... CRUELTY. Although I did think it'd be worse than it was. Ahem. IT's STILL REALLY HORRIBLE THOUGH. And the book teases you with what evil it's going to commit right at the beginning, so you can sit there reading these nice pleasant bantery scenes between Rhy and Kell and know in the background SOMETHING IS GOING TO GO VERY VERY VERYYYYYY WRRRRRRONG ERMAGERD SAVE YOURSELVES. But they don't. Because they don't listen to the reader. Idiots. #preciousbabies

Basically everything was sickeningly perfect. And I am in love with this series. Obviously.
The character development? ✓
Witty banter?✓
Shippable moments?✓
Screaming "ERMAGERD THERE GO MY FEELS" moments? ✓
Blood and guts and some glory?✓✓✓
Suffocatingly good writing that keeps your eyes to the page at every second?✓✓✓✓
Plot twists that have you despairing of ever breathing again?✓✓✓✓✓✓✓✓✓
Perfection? ✓✓ Probably ✓✓✓ Definitely ✓✓✓ YES OKAY?!?!?!✓✓✓✓

Ahem. If you haven't started this series: GO DO IT NOW. OKAY?!?! It is a MILLION percent worth it and. FANGIRLING. FEELS. ALL. OVER. THE. PLACE.

I FEEL LIKE BOOK 3 IS GOING TO BE TRAGIC.

I CANNOT WAIT.

(Also shout out to Maraia who patiently sat through my spam-load of shrieking texts. But then, she deserved it because she told me to read this series. <3)

** QUOTES**

"Well, Ister..." Lila backed away towards the curtain. "Do you just...stand here until I need you?"
The woman smiled and dug a volume from a pocket. "I have a book."
"Let me guess, a religious text?"
"Actually," said Ister, perching on the low couch. "It's about pirates."

"You tried to seduce me, for information."
"You can't hold that against me forever."
"It was last night."

"What brings you to my room?" he asked, relief bleeding into annoyance.
Kell frowned, and Rhy smiled. "Ah, there it is! That famous scowl."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Gathering of Shadows.

Quotes C.G. Liked

V.E. Schwab
“She bent most of the rules. She broke the rest.”

V.E. Schwab
“Oh yes, your relationship with Miss Bard is positively ordinary."
"Be quiet."
"Crossing worlds, killing royals, saving cities. The marks of every good courtship.”

V.E. Schwab
“My father was a vulture. My mother was a magpie. My oldest brother is a crow. My sister, a sparrow. I have never really been a bird."
Lila resisted the urge to say he might have been a peacock. It didn't seem the time.”

March 11, 2016 – Started Reading
March 11, 2016 – Shelved
March 11, 2016 –
page 80
15.75% "I still have a WILD crush on Kell's coat."
page 301
59.25% ""What brings you to my room?"\n "Adventure. Intrigue. Brotherly concern. Or," continued the prince lazily, "perhaps I'm just giving your mirror something to look at besides your constant pout."\n \n THESE BROTHERS ARE MY EVERYTHING. <3"
page 341
67.13% "*aggressively protects Kell*"
page 404
79.53% "I have this feeling THE FINALE ISN'T GOING TO BE KIND TO ANYTHING OR ANYONE.\n *shrieks*"
March 13, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star
March 19, 2016 – Shelved as: best-of-2016
July 15, 2017 – Started Reading
July 15, 2017 –
page 20
3.94% "Because what else do I need to do with my life except reread all the Schwab."
page 162
31.89% "Holland: I am sorrow.
Holland: I am power.
Holland: I am darkness.
Holland: *grows purple flowers all over his palace*"
page 182
35.83% "Rhy: But your features are...unique.
Kell: Are you calling me ugly?

The future king and the most powerful magician ever...the world is, most obviously, in safe hands."
page 317
62.4% "Rhy: Ohhhh I'm so angry at him.
Rhy: I don't want to ever see him.
Rhy: so aNGRY!!!
Alucard: *appears*
Rhy: *melts*"
July 19, 2017 –
page 405
79.72% "Kell: I'm having a good time!
Kell: I feel in control!
Kell: Maybe someday I can forgive myself!
Kell: Life might actually be good again!
VE Schwab: [LAUGHING]
Me: [SOBBING]"
August 2, 2017 –
page 476
93.7% "RELATIONSHIP ADVICE FROM KELL & LILA:

Step #1: Find human who annoys you endlessly.
Step #2: Avoid them.
Step #3: Finally get together and fight.
Step #4: Make out passionately.
Step #5: Fight again, preferably a little stabbing because this is true love probably"
August 3, 2017 – Shelved as: audio-books
August 3, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
August 3, 2017 – Shelved as: reread
August 3, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee Ahahaha I love the bromance in this book and i will never give up on that ship, but I'll settle for bromance. SIGH.

C.G. Drews Wait wait wait...you ship Kell and Rhy?????? BUT THEy'RE BROTHERS.

message 3: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee Cait Grace wrote: "Wait wait wait...you ship Kell and Rhy?????? BUT THEy'RE BROTHERS."

I CAN'T HELP IT OKAY??? XDD

Finn Longman I SHIP THEM TOO, BEE, YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I've been trying not to because although they're not ACTUALLY brothers they're still sort-of brothers and it feels WEIRD but I can't help it, it just keeps happening to me

C.G. Drews I CAN'T LOOK AT YOU TWO.

Finn Longman I'm sorry. I'm ashamed of me too.

message 7: by Bee (last edited Mar 17, 2016 01:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee YAY I'm not alone!! I'm not ashamed, sorry. xD It's a plot straight out of a yaoi manga, lolol.

Lydia Ralte just finished this too. loved it

Ventia Webber I felt the same about the second audiobook! The first was fabulous but the second...why did they suddenly have American accents? I can't listen to the third one because it's the same narrators. And almost all of Sanderson's books have those narrators which makes me never want to listen to any of those on audiobook.

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Ventia: Being a big non-fan of Sanderson personally doesn't help. D: But yeah like??? The accents are awful. I can't even why they RUINED THE AUDIOS LIKE THIS.

message 11: by josh (new) - added it

josh I just finished ADSOM and I am L I V I N G for this world

Melanie Stockman I JUST FINISHED THE FIRST BOOK AND I BOUGHT THE SERIES SO I CAN READ IT OVER AND OVER. IT'S SOOOOO GOOD!! I'M ALSO READING "THIS SAVAGE SONG" NOW AND OMGG HER BOOKS. I AM. LIVING (and dying)

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Melanie: JUST DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND READ ALL HER BOOKS AND DIE IN HAPPY PAINFUL EXCRUCIATING FEELS.

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @J: EXCELLENT. WE WILL DIE FOR THIS WORLD TOO.