Laura's Reviews > Code Talker: A Novel About the Navajo Marines of World War Two

Code Talker by Joseph Bruchac

Mar 30, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult, historical-fiction, native-americans-american-indians, war-and-soldiers
Read on March 30, 2011

I absolutely loved this book! I read it because it's a new novel for the Read180 classroom. I had no familiarity with the novel or the author. Who should I recommend it to?

I ended up devouring the book during every break I had. The intermixing of historical fact with historical fiction is amazing. I learned about Indian Missionary Schools and World War II from the same point of view. I found myself comparing his description of Missionary School with Boot Camp for the Marines. There really didn't seem to be much of a difference... although Boot Camp may have been easier.

There's a gentle sense of humor to the book. The narrator is self-deprecating while he describes the horrors of life for the Navaho before WWII and the injustices suffered while choosing how to live his own life.

I have already recommended that my department buy this book in class sets. There's an audioversion available I hope to find. Perhaps next year I'll be able to have my students read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Talker.

03/30 page 23