Gina Wynn's Reviews > Domestic Secrets

Domestic Secrets by Rosalind Noonan

Mar 11, 2016

bookshelves: my-netgalley-reads, small-town, womens-fiction

3.5 stars rounded to 4

I am very conflicted about this book. Several times in the first portion, I considered putting it down. It moved slowly as it set the pace of life in the small town of Timbergrove, and I struggled to see the relevance of everything I was reading. I still believe there is some repetition of backstory and some details that could be condensed for a tighter read, and maybe more signposting of things to come would have helped me later. (I love that “Aha!” feeling of connecting the dots.)

If I have one piece of advice for any reader, though, it’s “Hang in there!” If you are also reading this book and subconsciously perusing the contents of your bookshelf/TBR pile for something more exciting, definitely hang in there. At about 40% of the way through, the storyline really picks up and little hints of unease, and even revulsion, from earlier in the book begin to find a home.

That said, the unnecessary elements also continue. One of the characters, Cassie, gets her own storyline but it feels too undeveloped in some respects, so is too much focus on her in another. She felt more like a secondary character butting in – I didn’t care much about her, and—to be honest—I didn’t want to have to. She didn’t need so much focus as she just served to distract me from the main event and she removed me from Timbergrove, where I would have preferred to spend the whole book – isolated, claustrophobic and with no reprieve from the two lead characters, Rachel and Ariel.

The ending fell a little flat for me, and I wanted more in the way of justice for a character whose crimes didn’t seem to be properly addressed.

Regardless, Domestic Secrets fulfilled the brief for all good books – it made me think. I thought about my own life, my children, my parenting style, and I pondered that greatest of questions: nature or nurture?

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Domestic Secrets.

February 24, 2016 – Started Reading