Michelle Johnson's Reviews > Red Queen

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

The kinda read that makes you go...
 photo giphy_zpsjej48rmi.gif

Throughout the past year, I've seen this book praised by reviewers time and time again so I figured why not see for myself what this book is about.

As a graphic designer, automatically I'm pulled in by the cover art in itself. The simple but powerful graphic is absolutely stunning and from my perspective, sets a certain standard for readers. We are to expect blood and perhaps...the rise and fall of a queen.

Diving into the story, I quickly determined that yes, there will be blood, and there will be a rise, just not of a queen - yet. Aveyard did an excellent job, beautifully crafting the world of The Reds and The Silvers. Seeing through the eyes of Mare Barrow - a special type of Red - you experience the struggles and injustice that come along with having red blood.

I really enjoyed the story and got caught up trying to determine who Mare could trust once she was taken from her family - after her abilities were accidentally put on display. When introduced to Cal and Maven, I must admit it was tricky to see which I favoured the most. They both had qualities that swayed me like a teeter totter.

photo tumblr_n23kbkCvPe1tnbt2zo1_500_zpssgzuhks7.gif

Progressing deeper into the story, I tried to predict how the story would unfold and just couldn't! That ending had me like..

photo tumblr_mho9wfvzea1rdu1kgo1_500_zpsjsli4ety.gif

Definitely looking forward to what the future has in store for Mare...and Cal...and MAVEN.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Queen.

June 9, 2015 – Shelved (Other Hardcover Edition)
June 9, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (Other Hardcover Edition)
March 11, 2016 – Started Reading