C.G. Drews's Reviews > Here Lies Daniel Tate

Here Lies Daniel Tate by Cristin Terrill

bookshelves: 5-star, read-2017, thriller-crime, young-adult, ya-male-narrators

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT MY BRAIN IS DOING RIGHT NOW. I THINK IT RAN AWAY. THIS WAS SO SO GOOD. So so so so good. It was mind-twisty and heartbreaking and the writing was simply superb and I just finished it and kind of wanted to hurl it across the room. <--- In the BEST possible way. Omg why. WHY.

You are a glorious book, dear Daniel Tate, and I hate you a little little teeny tiny bit. <3 <3

(In the best possible way.)

So I absolutely thoroughly enjoyed Danny's narration. Although, his name isn't Daniel Tate, obviously, because he's some random abused con artist teenager who decided to fake being this rich abducted kid. Then he gets all caught up in this super super rich and SUPER SUPER MESSED UP family and kind of falls in love with the idea of being loved/cared for. But things are soooooo much darker and twisted than all that. I just so felt for Danny. I really wanted good things to happen to him because he was a precious cinnamon. He spends his whole life pretending to be other people and like he doesn't even KNOW who he is.

It was also totally suspenseful! And had the cursed idea of having no chapters, just sort of scene breaks. So basically haha and LOL @ YOU if you think you can just put it down and go live a life. No. You get to sit. You get to read. You get to get emotionally tangled up in hoping Danny's life works out but having a SICK DREAD FEELING the whole time. But hey! I don't usually actually get THRILLED by thrillers...yet this did 500%. So I'm notoriously pleased.

I also loved how complex and dimensional all the characters were. Erm, well, all the characters except the love interest who was like the most random-thrown-in-and-pointless romance ever. [rolls eyes to the heavens] But Danny's stolen family was so interested. Completely messed up af. But so so interesting.

Also the play on the title is marvellous. Because (view spoiler)

I do actually have small quibbles though...But I still think it thoroughly deserves 5 stars because it just was so so well written and really hit me in the feels so many times.

SMOL LIST OF QUIBBLES:
• totally unnecessary and weak romance and I'm super over them
• I thought one of the plot twists was REALLY obvious (view spoiler)
• I know the point of the narrator/Danny was that he was filling in shoes and therefore always trying to figure out who he was...but I kind of wish he'd had a little more internal personality. However it's a SMOL quibble because, again, I think that was the point of his character.

Also can we take a moment for screwed up rich American families? Because duuuuuude. Let's give your teenagers SUVs and credit cards and perfection and then watch them burn the world down. Nice. I will not ever understand, my mateys.

AND THE ENDING JUST...YEAH IT'S OKAY, I DIDN'T WANT TO BREATHE ANYWAY. It was perfect and twisty and maddening and I loved it.

ALL IN ALL: this is actually a thriller with a heartwarming soul and a cinnamon of a protagonist. I really loved Danny and I adored the mystery and I will applaud the writing for at least three hundred years and then directly want to read this author's other book. Immediately. It totally captivated me and I just wanted to read and read and do nothing else! SIGN OF A GOOD BOOK.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here Lies Daniel Tate.

March 11, 2016 – Shelved
March 11, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
June 29, 2017 – Started Reading
June 29, 2017 –
page 45
11.25% "But I just want to know what happened to this poor kid's face and why he has 3 eyeballs."
June 29, 2017 –
page 150
37.5% "THIS IS QUITE EXCELLENT AND I HAVE FEELINGS."
June 30, 2017 – Shelved as: 5-star
June 30, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
June 30, 2017 – Shelved as: thriller-crime
June 30, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
June 30, 2017 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
June 30, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee <3

message 2: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Paquet But, Cait, WHY DOES HE HAVE THREE EYES?

message 3: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee Cause he needs an extra eye to see us suffering after that ending. 2 isn't enough

message 4: by Zoe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Zoe CAIT I KEEP TELLING YOU TO READ ALL OUR YESTERDAYS AND NOW YOU'RE ACTING SO SURPRISED THAT YOU LIKE THIS SO MUCH HAHA

Elle (TheBookishActress) I actually think her other book is even better!! Hope you like it 😄

message 6: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan *adds to TBR* you've convinced me :)

Kris Any book you give 5-stars I MUST READ and this one sounds like everything that I want. CURSE YOU, GOOD BOOKS.

C.G. Drews @Daisy: we may never know *sobs*

@Zoe: DUDE, I'M SORRY. I AM LITERALLY GOING TO READ IT STRAIGHT AWAY BECAUSE I'M DEAD WITH LOVE FOR THIS.

@Elise: Ooooh, that is good news!

C.G. Drews @Megan: mY JOB HERE IS DONE.

@Kris: READ IT. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

message 10: by Fatima (new) - added it

Fatima WOWOW, I LOVE YOUR REVIEWS! I haaaaave to read this now, omg

message 11: by Keri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri (KeriBetweenPages) Omg Cait, I just finished this and 😲😲😲

It.was.awesome!

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Fatima: Ahhh! I hope you get a chance!!

@Keri: OMG I KNOW RIGHT?!? I'm still so in love with ... and furious at that ending. XD

message 13: by Luca (new) - added it

Luca I want to read it now!??!!!?

message 14: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna i'm looking forward to reading this so badly

message 15: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam The ending!!!

Samantha Oh my god ! Same from the very start of the book, I knew that Lex and Patrick were involved. It was just so obvious. And the ending !!! I am dead set (pun intended) that “Danny” isn’t dead. I think that the FBI got him all patched up and he got his immunity and went on his way.

message 17: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Splendid review, Drews!

Courtney Robeson Just read this book, and I agree with you completely! (Also I called the whole Lex and Patrick thing too, just not the rest of that).

Aisha (seetheworldwithbooks) Haiiii. I have finished reading this and i seriously dont understand the ending. What really happened to him? Is he dead or what?? Will you tell me?? Thanks :)

message 20: by Avery (new)

Avery Copeland Right on!