Dani (Dani Reviews Things & Love in a time of Feminism)'s Reviews > Facsimile

Facsimile by Vicki L. Weavil

See this review in its natural environment, Dani Reviews Things.

I received this book for free from Chapter by Chapter in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Let’s see if I can write this without misspelling ‘facsimile’ for the billionth time…

Facsimile is narrated by 17-year-old Ann, a second-generation born Eco resident, and takes place over the space of a week or two. Ann is desperate to get to Earth, where she thinks her family will be happy and have more opportunities than on Eco, the planet her grandparents were abandoned on with other terraformers. When a spacecraft lands on Eco with an opportunity to escape, Ann grabs it. In exchange for space on the craft, she must escort Dace, the captain’s nephew and naturalist, around the area to study the native fauna and flora. The people of Eco think they’re alone on the planet, besides some insects and lizards, but Dace thinks there might be more to the planet than the locals believe. With one revelation after the next, Ann must challenge her image of herself and her planet… all the while dealing with argumentative parents and a boy everyone assumes she’s destined to marry.

I liked this book. I really did. I’ll admit, it didn’t exactly grab me from the first page, but once it got going, I wanted to keep reading and reading and reading. Facsimile has a good balance of science: just enough to make things intriguing but not enough to freak you out with technicalities. My inner zoology geek was soooo happy with the level of scientific detail, especially the gadgets that Dace had to study the local creatures.

The end. Guys, the end. Things wrapped up so nicely, until Weavil threw in one word. I’ve added the second book, Derivation to my TBR and am waiting impatiently. Give give give.

Ann frustrated me at times, as she was pretty stubborn. BUUUT you know what? She was a lot like me. I can be a stubborn pain in the bum sometimes, too. She was also took charge very naturally, and I admired that she figured out what she wanted and went for it, rather than dancing around with uncertainty and looking for other people to tell her what to do. When she wasn’t sure about something, she admitted it openly, or she said she wasn’t going to decide yet because… why should she?

I know a certain someone who is going to be upset with me for saying this, but I actually like both Dace and Raid. Dace got my nerd crushing going from the start, while Raid annoyed me at the beginning but then developed that strong and protective element that I tend to love in my book boyfriends. I think I’m Team Raid…most of the time.

“Kisses are fun. But I’m not looking for something more right now. You should know that better than anyone, Raid.” I press a kiss into his palm and drop his hand. “And when I am, it’ll be me that decides, not any boy. You got that?”

Which leads me on to one of two big wins for this book: positive feminist messages. Unlike in other books, where 17-year-olds are looking for their happily ever afters and soulmates, Facsimile showed teenagers as teenagers. Ann and Emie (her bestie) did not slut-shame each other or force each other to choose a guy. They had each other’s backs and wanted the best for each other. Plus, they stood up for and loved themselves! WOO! And let’s not forget that Emie is apprenticing to be the local IT girl. High five to all my techie ladies!!!

“Why should I care if some guy likes it better another way? This is me, and I think I’m pretty awesome all on my own.”

The other win is Diversity! Ann’s paternal grandparents were originally from South America, and she speaks Spanish with them and her father. Raid was of Mongolian descent, while Dace was born in Mumbai to an Indian mother and an absent caucasian father. And everyone was beautiful! YAY! Happy dance time.

The only thing that upset me was Ann’s mom’s little escapade, but that added to the plot. It made me uncomfortable simply because it hit a bit close to home, except with the roles reversed. I think the way Ann reacted was actually quite realistic, looking back at my own reactions. I would say…give her six months and then she can have a breakdown. Weavil, if you want to talk to me about it, I can give you a lot of dirt. Haha.

Overall, Facsimile was an engaging YA sci-fi with a hint of realistic romance, and I recommend it to anyone looking for diverse characters and positive messages about women and sexuality.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Facsimile.

March 10, 2016 – Shelved
March 15, 2016 – Started Reading
March 16, 2016 –
3.0% "Who wants to bet the mystery young crew member is the love interest?"
5.0% "Aw, poor Raid."
March 16, 2016 –
8.0% "Grandma is so cryptic."
March 16, 2016 –
14.0% "I feel like there MIGHT be a love triangle coming."
March 16, 2016 –
14.0% "Don't be an ass, Raid."
March 16, 2016 –
18.0% "This is exciting and all, but I still have a hard time believing two kids are the first people to explore this area on the planet when it's been inhabited for a century, especially with so little effort."
March 16, 2016 –
27.0% ":( no. Me no likely."
March 16, 2016 –
29.0% "You know what? I like her confidence, and that she knows what she wants. It's nice to find teenagers who aren't dancing around with uncertainty about everything."
March 16, 2016 –
32.0% "WHY DID THAT JUST HAPPEN"
March 16, 2016 –
34.0% "Her mom is a little scary..."
March 16, 2016 –
36.0% "Emie is cool, guys."
March 16, 2016 –
40.0% "Random interlude, but actually kinda cute????"
March 16, 2016 –
42.0% "Ok, now I am in love with Raid."
March 16, 2016 –
48.0% "GUYS I WANT TO COMMUNICATE USING MY MIND. Imagine not having to talk..."
March 16, 2016 –
51.0% "Huh. Hi Raid. Fancy meeting you here."
March 16, 2016 –
54.0% "I want to like Ann, as we are alike in some big ways, but she is being kinda selfish and stubborn. Raid and Dace are too good for her right now!"
March 16, 2016 –
69.0% "Really enjoying this, but I need to sleep! So conflicted..."
March 16, 2016 – Finished Reading