Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘'s Reviews > Nevernight

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff

UPDATE : Because it seems that Nevernight wasn't shitty enough as it was, it also shows problematic rep for Maori. Please read Anjulie's brilliant post about it.

MY EYES, O, MY EYES! O, gentlefriends, you may not approve of my decision to rate Nevernight with a severe and lonely star given the fact that I failed to finish it. But I tried, O, gentlefriends, trust me, I tried, yet completing the task of reading all 18,695 pages of this wonder-

There are only 448 pages...

Oh, FUCK OFF, the cat "who is not a cat" (why thank you I KNOW you told me one billion times already - go haunt someone else's shadow, watch over another balcony with your not-eyes would you even though I don't even want to know how THAT bloody works)

Truth is, O, gentlefriends, I'm taking my life back. The 42% I read were painfully indigestible and I am very sorry if I offend 99% of my friends who love Jay Kristoff's writing but I cannot do this. I CANNOT.

1) The metaphors and similes

First, I don't like them as a whole. While I do believe that they can add a poetic touch to a novel, if I start highlighting them, it either means that :

a) they're overused ;
b) they don't make any kind of sense ;
c) they make me forget the story to focus on the prose, as if the writer was tapping me on the shoulder in a "I am so clever, am I not?" fashion.

Some of them made me roll my eyes.

"Mia caught her temper by the collar, gave it a good hard shake. Clearing her throat, she brushed her crooked fringe from her eyes."

"Mia sighed. Took her temper by the earlobe and pulled it to heel."

Others earned a well-deserved WTF?!

"Tric gave another half-hearted stab, but the beast had forgotten its quarry entirely, great eyes rolling as it flipped over and over, dragging its bulk back below the sand, howling like a dog who's just returned home from a hard turn's work to find another hound in his kennel, smoking his cigarillos and in bed with his wife."

O_o

"They're led by a dozen camels, Tric. A noseless dog could follow this trail of shit in the middle of truedark. If they suddenly start trekking faster than a forty-a-turn smoker with an armload of drunken prostitutes, I think we can find them again."

????!?!!

2) Heavy wordiness and other useless descriptions

This is a matter of taste, alright? But I can't do this? Not willingly, at least? Look, I graduated in French Literature and hence have had my fair share of wordy books for the sake of being wordy. After five years, I've come to the conclusion that this overwritten and purple writing style does not suit me. Words are meant to carry the story, and not to prove how clever and well-read the author is. Again, in my opinion anyway.

"She introduced her boot to his partner's groin, kicking him hard enough to cripple his unborn children."

BECAUSE THAT'S A THING.

Nope. That's a commonplace.

I tend to find commonplaces useless.

"The horizon was crusted like a beggar's lips, scoured by winds laden with voices just beyond hearing. The second sun kissing the horizon was usually the sign for Itreya's brutal winters to begin, but out there, the heat was still blistering."

Many of you might adore this writing. I do not. Oh, and no, before some gentle soul implies it, it is not because I'm "used to YA" or "unable to 'get it'". As I said, I can enjoy classics. Just not the ones that make me want to pull my hair out.

3) There are footnotes as a world-building

Call it as you want, when an author uses LONG footnotes to narrate parts of the world-building, it seems like info-dumping to me. And an annoying one, at that. Honestly? I stopped reading them after two chapters : I had a hard time connecting with the story already, and would have DNFed Nevernight way faster if I had stopped every few pages to read these damn footnotes. More generally, I find it lazy to use footnotes when these legends could have been incorporated into the main story.

There's also a character who speaks like a Shakespeare's lad, but at this point, I'm not even counting anymore.

As much as I wanted to love Nevernight, whose blurb made it sound so captivating, I cannot stand this writing and it spoiled my read. If you add it to the facts that :

1) The world-building is a mash-up between the Roman Empire, the Venice Republic, Harry Potter and The Young Elites (and surely many more) ;

2) The heroine already earned her special nemesis whose only purpose seems to glare and glare and glare again ;

3) I don't care about any of the characters whatsoever (except Tric. I did like Tric) ;

4) I don't appreciate the so-called wit of that fucking cat who is not a cat (I didn't laugh ONCE, alright?) ;

5) I am BORED ;

... Well, you'll understand why Nevernight and me will part ways now, at 42%.

Mark my words, though : this will be a hit. Oh, well. On my minority shelf it goes.

For more of my reviews, please visit:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nevernight.

March 10, 2016 – Shelved
July 13, 2016 – Started Reading
July 16, 2016 –
5.0% "I *might* have a problem with the writing : \n \n she introduced her boot to his partner's groin, kicking him hard enough to cripple his unborn children."\n \n Over the top much? I know that it's a matter of taste BUT for me there are way too many similes and it doesn't flow (IMO, again, I know that many readers love his writing)\n \n The story seems interesting, though, so here I go... I just hope I can do this."
July 17, 2016 – Finished Reading

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Oooh I just got approved for this!!!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things wrote: "Oooh I just got approved for this!!!"

Me too!! Haha we are approval twins :D So happy because it seems SO good *_*

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things wrote: "Oooh I just got approved for this!!!"

Me too!! Haha we are approval twins :D So happy because it seems SO good *_*"

Everyone has been raving about it!! I can't wait to try it!! Let me know how you like it!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things wrote: "Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things wrote: "Oooh I just got approved for this!!!"

Me too!! Haha we are approval twins :D So happy because it seem..."

I will! I couldn't help myself and just started it xD Finger crossed!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

LUCKY YOU! I've heard nothing but good things for this one!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Mikaela • Night Triumphant • wrote: "LUCKY YOU! I've heard nothing but good things for this one!"

THANK YOU! I've been wanting it since the first time I read the blurb. Sounds FANTASTIC *_*

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Ohh, I got this from Netgalley. With all you are saying it makes me think I should move this up to read.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Laura wrote: "Ohh, I got this from Netgalley. With all you are saying it makes me think I should move this up to read."

I hope!! I just started it but the blurb makes it look so good :D *finger crossed*

message 10: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Lucky!! I've heard such amazing this about this, I hope it lives up to them. Enjoy! :D

message 11: by Chantal (new) - added it

Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway) You are soooo lucky!! Have you read Jay Kristoff's other books?

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Chantal wrote: "You are soooo lucky!! Have you read Jay Kristoff's other books?"

Nope ^^ But this one called to me when I saw it *_*

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Andie wrote: "Lucky!! I've heard such amazing this about this, I hope it lives up to them. Enjoy! :D"

Thank you!!!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Jxsxph◆Kavinsky wrote: "ENVVVVVVVVVYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY."

*puppy eyes*

message 15: by Chantal (new) - added it

Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway) Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Chantal wrote: "You are soooo lucky!! Have you read Jay Kristoff's other books?"

Nope ^^ But this one called to me when I saw it *_*"

Yes, this one sounds amazing. I hope you end up loving it!

message 16: by Rogier (new)

Rogier happy reading

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Oh no!!! I'm so curious now... I'm worried I won't connect either. I don't do well with overly wordy and confusing descriptions and pretty much all that you mentioned

message 19: by The Captain (new)

The Captain NetGalley declined me and I was sad for a moment. Now I feel glad. If that is how the book is written then I have to admit it might make me crazy. I was looking forward to it and now the book has been pushed to the might not read at all list. If I do read it then at least I have been warned. So thank you.

message 20: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Haha! That dog simile definitely made me laugh. I'm not a huge fan of similes and metaphors either so I don't think this is the book for me. Hope your next read is better! :D

message 21: by mich (new)

mich I am part of that 1% with you. His writing is not for me.

I totally felt the same way as you about his other book that I read (Stormdancer) -- I couldn't believe the actual page count cuz it FELT soooooo much longer :P

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura Wow that bad. I had a feeling when I looked at the first page. Sigh.

Yodamom I have headache from just trying to figure out WTH those few line were talking about. Holy Tangled Wordy Hell, I have this book to review ?!?!?!?! I have read his Lotus War series and liked it but it's didn't have these issues. I was excited, thrilled to have gotten it, now I am sad and will have to eat ice cream. Thanks Mr. Kristoff.
Based on your points above I don't predict me getting much farther than you did unless...... ?
Great review, clear and understandable

message 24: by Aadivah (new) - added it

Aadivah Sometimes I can tolerate that kind of writing, but only when the characters and storyline are enough to distract me from it. To me that writing style just sounds pretentious and then I begin to imagine this (stereotypical) English fellow complete with the eye glass thingy and brown suit and that kind of curly mustache snottily reading it to me.

*I'm sorry if I offend anyone with that description, it is not my intention.

message 25: by Liz (new)

Liz Oh no. Thank you for the warning! There is already such a hype around this book that it tempted me to add this one on my tbr. Well, the few quotes you used are already a huge turn-off, but the footnote-thing did it! :D

message 26: by Zaira (new)

Zaira Amazing and honest review! I don't think I would like this book either. The quotes you chose to make your point were very puzzling to me. I spent the last 5 minutes trying to understand what the author meant. Thanks dor the warning! I was really pumped up for this book.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things wrote: "Oh no!!! I'm so curious now... I'm worried I won't connect either. I don't do well with overly wordy and confusing descriptions and pretty much all that you mentioned"

Aww I do hope that you'll enjoy more than me. All of my friends who read it rated it 5 stars, so it is most definitely a matter of taste (for the writing at least).

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ The Captain wrote: "NetGalley declined me and I was sad for a moment. Now I feel glad. If that is how the book is written then I have to admit it might make me crazy. I was looking forward to it and now the book has b..."

You're welcome! I'm sorry NG declined your request, I was SO happy to get it in my hands, so disappointed now :( Perhaps it will be better if you go in knowing? I sure hope, at least.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Andie wrote: "Haha! That dog simile definitely made me laugh. I'm not a huge fan of similes and metaphors either so I don't think this is the book for me. Hope your next read is better! :D"

LMAO, the wife's dog would be a cheater?! XD Thank you, Andie!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ mich wrote: "I am part of that 1% with you. His writing is not for me.

WOOT!! LET'S MAKE A BADGE FOR OUR 1% :D

No but really - I cannoooooooot >.<

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Laura wrote: "Wow that bad. I had a feeling when I looked at the first page. Sigh."

Yeah, same. I kept going, hoping I would somehow get used to it... Nope.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Yodamom wrote: "I have headache from just trying to figure out WTH those few line were talking about. Holy Tangled Wordy Hell, I have this book to review ?!?!?!?! I have read his Lotus War series and liked it but ..."

Thank you!! I hope you'll enjoy it more than I did! Many of my friends loved it, so...

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Aadivah wrote: "Sometimes I can tolerate that kind of writing, but only when the characters and storyline are enough to distract me from it. To me that writing style just sounds pretentious and then I begin to ima..."

LMAO. Yeah, it felt pretentious to me too... so pretentious.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Liz wrote: "Oh no. Thank you for the warning! There is already such a hype around this book that it tempted me to add this one on my tbr. Well, the few quotes you used are already a huge turn-off, but the foot..."

You're welcome!! Damn, the FOOTNOTES. WTF. I hate them >.<

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Zaira wrote: "Amazing and honest review! I don't think I would like this book either. The quotes you chose to make your point were very puzzling to me. I spent the last 5 minutes trying to understand what the au..."

Thank you so much, Zaira. I hope that you'll like it more if you do read it, but yeah, it wasn't for me at all >.<

message 36: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra Thank you! I was sad when NG turned me down for this one, now I am not. I think from your examples I would feel similarly to how you feel.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Alexandra wrote: "Thank you! I was sad when NG turned me down for this one, now I am not. I think from your examples I would feel similarly to how you feel."

Aw, thank you!!

Emily May AGREE. I cannot finish this. I had to go reread the blurb because I had no fucking clue what it was even about! *cries*

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Emily May wrote: "AGREE. I cannot finish this. I had to go reread the blurb because I had no fucking clue what it was even about! *cries*"

THANK YOU. It almost made me think that I was stupid, you know? I believe that being to the point is way harder than using weird metaphors, and I love authors who manage to do that. And yeah, I get the feeling. I tried to convince myself to finish it, but every time I considered it I thought about these sentences and that not-cat and I just couldn't. I don't care if there's a great story behind it at this point.

Nouf *LostinFantasy* Oh wow I actually thought this was that must read book of thr next couple of months. But your review gave a lot of reasons why I wouldn't enjoy this.
Thanks for the honest review! It always helps to be warned of possible boredom and confusion when going into a hyped book with too-high expectations. :))

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ ravngirl ((prv. Jxsxph.k)) wrote: ""howling like a dog who's just returned home from a hard turn's work to find another hound in his kennel, smoking his cigarillos and in bed with his wife."

????????? I'M LIKE..SOBBING XD

If I eve..."

LMAO, right?? I thought it was a great idea at first... a shadow-cat... But after the 1458' time reading "the cat who is not a cat", the idea started to really annoy me, lmao. And YES. THIS^I also felt like sobbing *wails*

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Nouf *LostinFantasy* wrote: "Oh wow I actually thought this was that must read book of thr next couple of months. But your review gave a lot of reasons why I wouldn't enjoy this.
Thanks for the honest review! It always helps t..."

Thank you, and you're welcome! I also thought that I would ADORE this book :/

message 43: by Gabrielle (new) - added it

Gabrielle  (Wishes she had more time to read) Oh, god. I was really looking forward to this but now I'm wary :/

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Gabrielle wrote: "Oh, god. I was really looking forward to this but now I'm wary :/"

Yeah :/ I hope you'll enjoy it more than me :(

message 45: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Emily May wrote: "AGREE. I cannot finish this. I had to go reread the blurb because I had no fucking clue what it was even about! *cries*"

THANK YOU. It almost made me think that I was stupid, you..."

That's a bit how I felt trying to get through The Interminables, even though I've easily read many deep and complex books. The writing style is unusual, and for me was often disjointed and hard to follow in places.

So frustrating, especially when what might lie below the writing style might actually be a good story somewhere.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Alexandra wrote: "Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Emily May wrote: "AGREE. I cannot finish this. I had to go reread the blurb because I had no fucking clue what it was even about! *cries*"

..."

Yes exactly. At this point, I didn't even care, I couldn't :/

message 47: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Alexandra wrote: "Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Emily May wrote: "AGREE. I cannot finish this. I had to go reread the blurb because I had no fucking clue what it was even..."

I know what you mean. So disappointing.

message 48: by Vane (new) - added it

Vane J. These awkward metaphors and similes remind me to Shatter Me. They were just as weird and WTF (you might want to have a glimpse at the ones I included in my review of that book). And oh, gosh, wish me luck, I have Kristoff's Stormdancer ready-to-read, but if his writing is like this in all of his book, I don't know how I will handle it. >_< Great review, though!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Vane wrote: "These awkward metaphors and similes remind me to Shatter Me. They were just as weird and WTF (you might want to have a glimpse at the ones I included in my review of that book). And..."

Thank you!! See, I read Shatter Me in French at the time and liked the writing, but more I see other readers comparing Kristoff with it, more I wonder if the translation didn't save me on this one... Because from what I remember, in French, it made sense XD Apparently all of his books are like that - Check out Em's review of Stormdancer :/ I won't try again.

message 50: by Vane (new) - added it

Vane J. Oh God, I saw it... I don't know whether to read that or not... And you know, when I read Shatter Me for the first time I actually liked it, but then i read it again and I noticed how awkward the metaphors were. :/

« previous 1 3