Jennifer Nelson's Reviews > Safe Passage

Mar 29, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011-books, world-war-ii-nonfiction
Read from February 15 to March 04, 2011

The author of this book, Ida Cook, is an adorable, charming lady and you can't help be drawn into this book by her warmth and candidness. However, I felt that the title and description were somewhat misleading. I thought that the majority of the book would be about her and her sister's rescue of Jews in pre-World War II Germany and was a little surprised by the lengthy passages about the opera stars of the day. It was interesting to learn more about the great singers of the 1920s and 30s but not what I expected to learn about. Although their friends in the opera world were very influential in their decision to help rescue Jews, I wished to learn more of those they rescued and their stories.

So, disappointment aside, I was very inspired by Ida's and her sister's bravery in the midst of such evil and their willingness to sacrifice so much to help those in need. They really believed in doing the right thing even when it's unbelievably hard. Ida attributes their moral character to the teaching and example of her parents, which I thought was a touching tribute.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Safe Passage.

08/08 marked as: read