J.M.'s Reviews > The Flash: Rebirth

The Flash by Geoff Johns

Mar 29, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: comics, superheroes

Ethan Van Sciver's artwork is awesome. I absolutely love his rendering, layouts, storytelling, covers, just everything. His perfect blend of classic superhero and modern makes me feel a bit of that old nostalgia, like I did as a boy when I was reading TEEN TITANS and the CRISIS series illustrated by George Perez.

Unfortunately, then there's Geoff Johns's story in the collected FLASH: REBIRTH. It was supposed to be the triumphant return of Barry Allen. It was supposed to reveal the secret of the Speed Force. Maybe I just don't have the patience to follow Johns's line of thought, because I still have NO IDEA what the secret of the Speed Force is. This story jumped around and all over the place, zooming from modern day to flashback with no warning or way to set the panels off, and there was way too much banter (I don't get how heroes can do all that talking to each other when they're breaking the sound barrier???), and the few unformed explanations that I *think* were provided here were either A) kinda lame, or B) completely lost on me because I got tired of muddling through the loads of captions and tediously-worded balloons.

In short, FLASH: REBIRTH evaded my attempts to comprehend about 80 percent of this storyline. Granted, I've not read much FLASH, so I definitely felt like someone coming into the middle of a very convoluted storyline. I certainly can't tell you the secret of the Speed Force, and I'm praying there won't be a quiz.

I give it TWO STARS. It avoids one star because Van Sciver's art was just wonderful to look at.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flash.

March 29, 2011 – Shelved