C.G. Drews's Reviews > Blue Lily, Lily Blue

Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater

bookshelves: 5-star, magical-fantasy, read-2016, read-2015, young-adult, reread, read-2018
Read 3 times. Last read March 2, 2018 to March 7, 2018.

1st Read: January 2015
2nd Read: March 2016
3rd Read: March 2018

Idek how it's possibly...BUT I LOVE THIS BOOK EVEN MORE THIS TIME AND I ALREADY LOVED IT ASTRONOMICALLY SO THE FIRST TIME. *shrieks* The thing that most makes me sob in this series (apart from precious #Pynch moments) is the fact that it makes me think so so much. Like I have theories! I see little nuggets and clues! I just feel like I got SO SO MUCH MORE OUT OF IT THE SECOND TIME. And everything makes me want to hold it and shriek and cry basically. Everything. ADJFAKSLDF

Things I Appreciated During This Re-Read:
• Everything #Pynch.
• Realising Adam's INCREDIBLE character development...where he even admits his pride is an idiot.
• Realising Ronan's INCREDIBLE character development...he is not a drunk raging asshole so much anymore. Still nasty. But wonderful. But nasty. BUT WONDERFUL.
• The fact that the way the title is REPEATED probably is a nod to Blue being a mirror. Yes?? Yesss?? DO YOU THINK???
• I accidentally love the Gray Man. He is a good father to Blue. <3
• PERSEPHONE. 3 *SHRIEKS*
• Gansey darling. His panic attack was the best thing in the world. Not because I want him to suffer but because GANSEY + ANXIETY = ADORABLE COOKIE POT WHOM IS RELATABLE AND I LOVE.
•I love Gansey.
• GANSEEEEY.
• #SaveGansey
• Blue's feminist fights were the best.
• Also Jesse Dittley. 3 *SHRIEKS MORE*
• Also is it just me or is Greenmantle like Metatron from Supernatural? Yes. Say yes basically.
• THIS SERIES FREAKING SPLITS ME IN HALF AND I LOVE IT. I CANNOT STOP THINKING ABOUT IT.
• I ACTUALLY FEEL LIKE RE-READING IT AGAIN IMMEDIATELY. WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME.
• How is this book so so good.
• I need a moment
• possibly nine moments.
• If I could only pick one favourite series...just ONE...it would be this one. I wouldn't even hesitate.
• DO YOU REALISE HOW MUCH I LOVE IT NOW?!?! OKAY. OKAY. I'M CALMING. Caaalming.

***

Here is my 2015 Review:

I've put off reviewing this because I just feel ALL OF THE THINGS. And my reviews for these kinds of books never adequately sum up how much I love them. So...I LOVE THIS BOOK A LOT OKAY AND YOU SHOULD GO READ IT AND THERE IS NOTHING BETTER THAN A MAGGIE STIEFVATER BOOK AND I WILL LITERALLY BEG ON MY KNEES FOR THE FINAL BOOK THAT CLIFFHANGER WAS WICKED. GANSEEEEEY.

I am a huge Maggie Stiefvater fan and basically give all her books 5-stars...so maybe i'm a little biased but THIS WAS AMAZINGLY FANtASTIC. I think The Raven Boys is still my favourite of the trilogy because it introduced me to these amazing characters. But the Dream Thieves broke my heart and Blue Lily Lily Blue just extended my craziness of passionate obsession for this series.

Since it's the 3rd in a series, it's hard to review without spoilers. While The Dream Thieves was more about Ronan, this one is back to being more about Blue. Everyone makes great leaps and bounds in character development. Ronan will forever break my heart...and there was quite a few shippable Ronan/Adam moments. I'm not EXACTLY sure how I stand with my shipping. I want to ship ALL OF THE THINGS like the fangirl I am. But I'm also very aware that I want everything to stay the same with my Raven Boys And 1 Girl. I want their epic tight-knit group of friendship to just stay exactly the same. And once people start getting together, that all gets ruiend. And Gansey knows this, which is why he won't admit he likes Blue. Also the whole if-she-kisses-him-she'll-kill-him.

Can I take a moment to say I'm FREAKING TERRIFIED FOR GANSEY?!! He's going to die. Blue predicted it in book 1. BUT I CAN'T HAVE GANSEY DIE. I've been with him for 3 books and I just love him more and more and he and Blue are adorable. They ring each other up in the middle of the night even thought it's "against the rules" (their own private rules of not liking each other) and they talk about birds or congress. Never each other. It is the sweetest most adorable relationship I've ever read. And I LOVE it. I love how different they are to typical YA books.

I love how this book is book is focused on dead Welsh kings and FRIENDSHIP mostly...and then shippable things secondly. I really love books about friendship, okay?

But let's talk a little about all the characters, shall we?! (Yes, yes we shall.)

BLUE: She's as feisty but calm/sweet as ever. I love how Blue has such a huge personality but she's kind of serious and not prone to losing her mind over anything. She will not be belittled. She will stand up for herself. She's such a feminist and doesn't need a boy to save her. She's also short. I didn't actually realise till this book how short she is! BUT IT'S HILARIOUS. There are so many short-jokes.
GANSEY: I love Gansey. He is smooth and he keeps everyone together so well. But he has secrets...like a bit more comes out about his immense secrets in this book. For some reason Gansey seemed more boyish than usual. Like he's so collected al of the time...but....it's like death is closer and I AM FREAKING OUT OAKY?!!
ADAM: Is finally starting to grow a brain and he's whole mantra is "don't fight with Gansey don't fight with Blue" and I appreciate that. Adam is so tough and strong and he's so fragile. But I love him. He and Ronan fight something vicious but they are THERE for each other, which just gives me ajfdsklad feels. Even not as a couple. JUST AS FRIENDS TOO. I think Ronan would stab Adam in the eye, still. But you know, every friendship has their rough patches.
RONAN: I LOVE RONAN SO MUCH HE IS MY FAVOURITE. He is so ferocious and such a giant jerk...but adorable. And so full of secrets. I kind of guessed that (view spoiler) Ronan makes himself so difficult but he really really needs the others. SO BADLY.
NOAH: We're losing Noah. I am terrified. He's going a little more crazy as a ghost and I really really really want htem to fix him because I love Noah.

Basically I love everyone. Are you shocked. HAH AH. No you're not.

The writing is as beautiful as always. I think this is the fastest moving book of the 3 so far! There's a lot of scenery changes. There's villainous action. There's cursed caves and Jesse Dittley.

AND I AM SO IN NEED OF BOOK 4 BEFORE I EXPLODE, OKAY???!!
description

FAVOURITEST QUOTES:

"You can just be friends with people, you know," Orla said. "I think it's crazy how you're in love with all those raven boys."

As they moved through the old barn, Adam felt Ronan's eyes glance off him and away, his disinterest practised but incomplete. Adam wondered if anyone else noticed. Part of him wished they did and immediately felt bad, because it was vanity, really: See, Adam Parrish is wantable, worthy of a crush, not just by anyone, someone like Ronan, who could want Gansey or anyone else and chose Adam for his hungry eyes.
Maybe he was wrong. He could be wrong.
I am unknowable, Ronan Lynch.
(pg. 158)

"YOUR DEAD FRIEND," Jesse noted, sitting down opposite her at the tiny drop-leaf table. The mirror lay between them, face down.
"That's not his fault. Why didn't you say you could see him?"
"I DIDN'T SAY I COULD SEE YOU, EITHER."
"But I'm not dead," Blue pointed out.
"BUT YOU ARE PRETTY SHORT."
(pg. 183)

She lay there and told herself to go back to sleep, but instead, she got angrier. She was tired of Persephone and Calla and her mother withholding information because Blue wasn't psychic. Of not being able to daydream of fancy colleges because she wasn't rich. Of not being able to hold Gansey's hand because they couldn't hurt Adam's feelings and not being able to kiss Gansey's mouth because she didn't want to kill him. She was tired of knowing that he was going to die and being afraid that her mother would, too. (pg. 196)

Ronan pointed at the cart. "Get in there."
"What?"
He just continued pointing.
Adam said, "Give me a break. This is a public parking lot."
"Don't make this ugly, Parrish."
As an old lady headed past them, Adam sighed and climbed into the basket of the shopping cart. He drew his knees up so that he would fit. He was full of the knowledge that this was probably going to end with scabs.
Ronan gripped the handle with the skittish concentration of a motorcycle racer and eyed the line between them and the BMW parked on the far side of the lot. "What do you think the grade is on this parking lot?"
"C plus, maybe a B. Oh. I don't know. Ten degrees?" Adam held the sides of the cart and then thought better of it. He held himself instead.
With a savage smile, Ronan shoved the cart off the kerb and belted towards the BMW. As they picked up speed, Ronan called out a joyful and awful swear and then jumped on to the back of the cart himself. As they hurtled towards the BMW, Adam realised that Ronan, as usual, had no intention of stopping before something bad happened. He cupped a hand over his nose just as they glanced off the side of the BMW. The unseated cart wobbled once, twice, and then tipped catastrophically on to its side. It kept skidding, the boys skidding along with it.
The three of them came to a stop.
"Oh, God," Adam said, touching the road burn on his elbow. It wasn't that bad, really. "God, God. I can feel my teeth."
Ronan lay on his back a few feet away. A box of toothpaste rested on his chest and the cart kneeled beside him. He looked profoundly happy.
(pg. 233)

"What do we do now?" Gansey asked.
From the other room, Calla bellowed, "GO BUY US PIZZA. WITH EXTRA CHEESE, RICHIE RICH."
Blue said, "I think she's starting to like you." (pg. 243)

Behind him, he heard Ronan say, "I like the way you losers thought Instagram before first aid. Fuck off." (pg. 288)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Lily, Lily Blue.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“I'm glad you misdialed."

"Well. Easy mistake to make," she said. Might do it again." A very, very long pause. She opened her mouth to fill it, then changed her mind and didn't. She was shivering again, even though she wasn't cold with the pillow on her legs.

"Shouldn't," Gansey said finally. "But I hope you do.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“You can be just friends with people, you know," Orla said. "I think it's crazy how you're in love with all those raven boys."

Orla wasn't wrong, of course. But what she didn't realize about Blue and her boys was that they were all in love with one another. She was no less obsessed with them than they were with her, or one another, analyzing every conversation and gesture, drawing out every joke into a longer and longer running gag, spending each moment either with one another or thinking about when next they would be with one another. Blue was perfectly aware that it was possible to have a friendship that wasn't all-encompassing, that wasn't blinding, deafening, maddening, quickening. It was just that now that she'd had this kind, she didn't want the other.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Her aura is like yours—it's blue," he said. "The clairvoyant aura!"

"Is it?" She was going to be extremely annoyed if this was how she had gotten her name—like naming a puppy Fluffy.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I know when I'm awake and when I'm asleep," Ronan Lynch said.
Adam Parrish, curled over himself in a pair of battered, greasy coveralls, asked, "Do you?"
"Maybe I dreamt you," he said.
"Thanks for the straight teeth, then," Adam replied.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Wait!' called Blue. 'Will you tell me about my father?"
"No," Gwenllian replied. "I will get mayonnaise.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“The other boy wore a knowing expression.

"Don't tell the others," Gansey said.

"I'm dead," Noah replied. "Not stupid.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“We are going so slow," Noah said, craning his neck to observe the inevitable queue behind them. "I think I just saw a tricycle pass us.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“What do we do now?" Gansey asked.
Blue said, "I think she's starting to like you.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Behind him, he heard Ronan say, "I like the way you losers thought Instagram before first aid. Fuck off.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“It was true that Blue was just shy of five feet and it was also true that she hadn't eaten her greens, but she'd done the research and she didn't think the two were related.”
Maggie Stiefvater, Blue Lily, Lily Blue

April 29, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
April 29, 2014 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
December 15, 2014 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
December 15, 2014 –
page 100
25.71% "Awk. Everyone is adorable and somewhat bad at making wise life decisions." (Paperback Edition)
December 17, 2014 –
page 236
60.67% "Adam and Ronan tho. The shopping cart scene was a bit adorable." (Paperback Edition)
December 18, 2014 – Shelved as: 5-star (Paperback Edition)
December 18, 2014 – Shelved as: best-of-2014 (Paperback Edition)
December 18, 2014 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy (Paperback Edition)
December 18, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014 (Paperback Edition)
December 18, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult (Paperback Edition)
December 18, 2014 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
January 26, 2015 – Shelved as: paranormal (Paperback Edition)
March 10, 2016 – Started Reading
March 10, 2016 – Shelved
March 10, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "TIME TO RE-READ THIS DARLING AND PROBABLY HOWL WITH FEELS.\n Why did I say "probably"? There is no probably about it...\n *howls in preparation*"
March 12, 2016 –
page 89
22.76% "The true trouble is I can't decide if I want to live in Monmouth Manufacturing or 300 Fox Way. #bookwormproblems"
March 13, 2016 –
page 150
38.36% "Ronan grabbed a soda not a beer. #characterdevelopment"
March 26, 2016 –
page 234
59.85% "Adam said wryly, "She doesn't strike me as your type."\n Ronan hissed...\n \n Wherein Adam makes gay jokes and feels proud of himself. #Pynch"
March 28, 2016 –
page 300
76.73% "This character development makes me want to SHRIEK and CRY simultaneously. \n I cannot even with these precious boys."
March 30, 2016 –
page 368
94.12% "Intense Blue and Ronan moment which gives me hope and simultaneously slays me because I CANNOT HANDLE THE IDEA OF THESE 4 FRIENDS BEING SEPARATED. (Which is how I feel The Raven King will go...*shrieks*)"
March 31, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star
March 2, 2018 – Started Reading
March 2, 2018 –
page 55
14.07% "Ronan: I am badass and nasty and dark and--
Gansey: [distracted] yes of course you are sweetie
Gansey: now can you sing an irish jig on repeat while we explore this timeless cave"
March 2, 2018 –
page 132
33.76% "Ronan: how can i best show adam I like him???
Ronan [turns up at Adam's work and insults him, picks a fight and leaves cream for his sore hands]
Ronan: nailed it"
March 4, 2018 –
page 183
46.8% "FRIENDLY REMINDERS:
• when Blue goes out she takes her pet ghost Noah for company
• Ronan dreams up cures and epipens for Gansey and hides them all over Monmouth
• Gansey can't boil water
• Adam has promised himself not to fight with anyone...except Ronan because lmao Adam isn't unrealistic"
March 6, 2018 –
page 267
68.29% "Gansey: this day was stressful
Gansey: but we are all mature and can cope
Ronan & Adam: [sit in a shopping cart and crash]
Gwenllian: [screams nonstop for fun]
Calla: oRDER US PIZZA, RICHIE RICH."
March 7, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
March 7, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by em_is_reading (new)

em_is_reading "Em grabbed her kindle not a physical book" THAT'S SOME CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT (I used to notoriously hate e-books).

message 2: by em_is_reading (new)

em_is_reading My comments are so irrelevant just like my life hey hey.

C.G. Drews OMG YOU MAKE ME LAUGH. XD

message 4: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Lou AHHHH HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN I'm still only on the second book but it was overdue at the library and now I'm hyperventilating because I want it back and this is a really long run-on sentence....

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ I just reread it too and I do feel so much CLEVER - all these tiny clues everywhere and me frowning and almost taking notes to catch everything. So amazing.

Also, Pynch is life. Or something.

Great review!

Lexie YUP! Maggie said before the release of this one that the title had to do with mirrors and "we'll see what she means". AND SEE WE DID. AND IT WAS GLORIOUS.

Also, uhm, FAVORITE BOOK EVER OF EVER IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, so I'm not at all biased about any of this. Or your glorious fangirly review, Cait.

*rocks and cries with you in fearful and impatient anticipation of TRK and THE DEATH OF MY SOUL*

Rebekah Also, I think the character of The Dog deserves an honourable mention. ANY SENTENCE THAT MENTIONED THE DOG HAD ME LAUGHING FOR DAYS. I gave this book 5 stars but I want to give it six because I think the dog deserves a star as well. OMG GIVING THIS SERIES 5 STARS MEANS THEY CAN ALL HAVE A STAR: Gansey, Ronan, Adam, Noah, Blue!

C.G. Drews @Amy: I hOPE YOU GET TO READ IT EEEEEK.

@Alienor: Omg I totally hear you about feeling clever during the rereads. ME TOO. It makes me in such awe of Maggie Stiefvater's writing. :O Like every single word and scene counts for something, right?!? It all means something. *shrieks* PYNCH = <3

C.G. Drews @Lexie: ZOMGGGGGG ME TOOOOOOO. I THINK I LOVE THIS ONE THE BEST. But I'm not sure if it's because, by this time, I'm always just so suffocatingly addicted?? But all the books are 5-stars. FIVE STARS EVERYWHERE. *screams*

@Rebekah: Omg I like how you think with a star for each of them. xD Plus the Gray Man. I accidentally really like the Gray Man and Cara. <3 AND YES THE DOG DESERVES A STAR. THAT AMAZING DOG.

Lissa I 100% AGREE. I LOVE IT SO MUCH! Also, I love your idea about the title relating the fact that Blue is a mirror.

Kaiva nono the best part was when gansey and Adam talked on phone with Malory while he was at that pigeon festival and they were desperately trying not to laugh. precious moments like these. AND the one's with Gansey and Blue in the car or talking on phone at the night's when he couldn't sleep.
basically, yes, it was the best but the raven king comes right in as the 2nd, no doubt!

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Kaiva: Everything about it is the best.😍😍 I forgot the Grey Man took Blue out for a sandwich before they went to see the murder curse stuff in the cave and...aww. Everything is so precious.