Laura's Reviews > This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women

This I Believe by Jay Allison

Mar 29, 2011

bookshelves: biography-autobiography-memoir, essays, nonfiction

I got this book from a buy-one get-one book sale at school. It was Christmas time and I wanted something uplifting to read over the two-week break. I ended up forgetting it at school so it was waiting for me in January. I began reading it but... well, I'm not sure what happened but I didn't enjoy it so I put it aside for a while.

It sat on my desk for months. Then one day, I picked it up and began to re-read. And it inspired me. I don't know what I was missing in my first attempt at reading but, whatever it was, I got it now.

I'd love to introduce it to my middle school pre-AP class but some of the essays are too provocative for them. They won't understand some of the essays until they are older. I'm sure, though, I can pull a few out which they will grok.

I'm also considering using this series as my first books to send out into the world. I've already lent my copy to a friend who was intrigued by the barbecue essay and the letters NPR on the cover.

Read this book in dribs and drabs. Each essay is worth thinking about and chewing over.

For literary discussion groups, a discussion guide is included.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This I Believe.

March 29, 2011 – Started Reading