Sterlingcindysu's Reviews > Secret Daughter

Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda

Mar 29, 2011

bookshelves: arc
Read from February 05 to 08, 2013

I'm such a bad reader--I received this as an ARC and just reading it now. Wish I had known it was a fast read. A great effort for a debut novel and I appreciated all the details about India, both the rich and poor sides. Gowda could have certainly added another 50-75 pages on character development--as another reviewer said, I felt as the pages turned the years rushed by too quickly. I think a couple more developments about Somers and Kris' meeting/wedding and then some angst as Asha was in preschool would have added some depth. Was it just me, or were all the men portrayed badly? Or perhaps that showing how India's women really are her strength?

I liked the ending, very realistic.

It wasn't until the end that I noticed a glossary at the back. I didn't need it, everything was described very well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Daughter.

05/27/2016 marked as: read

Elizabeth☮ what do you think of this one? it's one i chose for bee of the month.

Sterlingcindysu It's certainly a fast read! Half of the story is about the American family that adopts an Indian girl and the other half, of the Indian family/mother who gave her up. The Indian part is much, much better. I think it's the writer's first book and while she does a good job overall, some of the secondary characters aren't fleshed out very well (and the daughter for that matter so far and she's in college).

Elizabeth☮ i agree with you. i felt there could have been more background on both families to help us better understand the characters' actions.