~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~'s Reviews > Hard Act to Follow

Hard Act to Follow by K. Vale

This was a light, sexy, and sweet read. I adored Kyrie. I liked Greg. I loved Kyrie's family and was grateful Jazz, Kyrie's sister and Greg's ex, wasn't a bitch.

I'm a big fan of the friends-to-lovers trope, and Greg was so damn enthusiastic in his desire for Kyrie. The angst was minimal, and the HEA, although tentative, was nice.

So why only 3 stars?

That's all to do with ME. I have a brother. We're close, like Jazz and Kyrie. And I cannot fathom ever (like EVER) sleeping with someone who's slept with my brother, and I know he feels the same. That's barely one degree of incest separation. And even a hint of incest makes me squig the fuck out. Seriously, I feel dirty just thinking about it.

Perhaps if Greg had dated Jazz briefly a decade before I could have brushed it aside. But Greg was married to Jazz for three YEARS (years, people!) and their divorce was fairly recent. Initially, Kyrie was even trying to get Greg and Jazz back together.

I had a hard time believing Kyrie's family would have accepted the relationship so easily. Never mind that once Kyrie and Greg got together, they didn't discuss their relationship at all, not with each other, not with anyone.

Personally, I think there was a hella lot to discuss, so that was a huge turnoff for me and the reason for my lower rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard Act to Follow.

March 9, 2016 – Shelved
March 9, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
March 10, 2016 – Shelved as: friends-to-lovers
March 10, 2016 – Shelved as: bisexual-ofy
March 10, 2016 – Shelved as: m-m
March 10, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen I have 6 siblings and anyone who's shared a bed with any of them is so not getting into mine. The fact that they might be with me and comparing me to them or thinking about them in any way...just yuck! No it's about as good of a buzz kill as having someone throw ice water on me...maybe, better.

message 2: by Ele (new)

Ele YES! Incest is a very hard limit. I don't have siblings but stories with incest are a big NO.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Karen wrote: "I have 6 siblings and anyone who's shared a bed with any of them is so not getting into mine. The fact that they might be with me and comparing me to them or thinking about them in any way...just y..."

ALL THIS.

Just no way.

A long time ago I dated a guy who was way more interested in my brother than me. We were only together a couple months, nothing serious.

A few weeks after we broke up, he ran into my brother at a coffee shop and asked him out. My brother thought he was cute, but he turned him down flat: You've dated my sister. No way, dude.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Ele wrote: "YES! Incest is a very hard limit. I don't have siblings but stories with incest are a big NO."

Ditto. I've only read a couple. It's even worse when I can imagine myself in the situation like in this book.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "Karen wrote: "I have 6 siblings and anyone who's shared a bed with any of them is so not getting into mine. The fact that they might be with me and comparing me to them or thinking about them in an..."

I totally like your brother. He rocks and has excellent priorities.

message 6: by Judith (new)

Judith Great review,darling,xx

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Karen wrote: "I totally like your brother. He rocks and has excellent priorities. "

He is truly awesome. And handsome. Just ask Ele.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Judith wrote: "Great review,darling,xx"

Thanks, luv.

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "Karen wrote: "I totally like your brother. He rocks and has excellent priorities. "

He is truly awesome. And handsome. Just ask Ele."

In spite of the fact that I have the feeling you are totally biased, I think I can trust you on this one. Who knows maybe one day I'll get to meet him or even better I'll get to meet you and you can show me pictures and I promise his virtue is totally safe with me. I'm no cougar and happily married (for nearly 30 years now, go me).

message 10: by Ele (new)

Ele ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "Karen wrote: "I totally like your brother. He rocks and has excellent priorities. "

He is truly awesome. And handsome. Just ask Ele."

I'll shut up now because it's your brother.

Milica :( Sorry you didn't enjoy this as much as I thought you would... Maybe if I had any siblings I'd feel the same way too...actually I probably would.

Hope you're out of your reading slump...and hey it's a progress, this one is 3 stars, the one before 2...the next is bound to be at least 4 star book :)

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Karen wrote: "I promise his virtue is totally safe with me. I'm no cougar and happily married "

LMAO

You wouldn't be his type anyway, since you're a girl. ;)

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Ele wrote: "Yeah, Dani's brother is seriously hot. Like....totally gorgeous. It's the eyes. In contrast with the hair. Oh and his body is like...

I'll shut up now because it's your brother. "

Do you see how she pervs on my baby bro?

In turn, my baby bro thinks Ele's friend A. is totally hot.

So it's just perving all around.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Milica wrote: ":( Sorry you didn't enjoy this as much as I thought you would... Maybe if I had any siblings I'd feel the same way too...actually I probably would.

Hope you're out of your reading slump...and hey..."

I actually liked the story. It was an easy read and most of the time I could pretend that Greg was never married to Jazz.

Alisa Right? And it just killed me how casual it all was when they told the family. Just an "Oh by the way I'm now screwing my sister's ex husband." The family was "Oh that's nice dear." I was befuddled at the whole thing.

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "Karen wrote: "I promise his virtue is totally safe with me. I'm no cougar and happily married "

LMAO

You wouldn't be his type anyway, since you're a girl. ;)"

I am? Damn when did that happen...oh, wait I remember it was the summer of '59 so I guess I'll just go join Ele over in the perv corner and she can discreetly fill me in on your brother's perv worthy attributes.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Alisa wrote: "Right? And it just killed me how casual it all was when they told the family. Just an "Oh by the way I'm now screwing my sister's ex husband." The family was "Oh that's nice dear." I was befuddled ..."

The mom was ecstatic! And they had every right to be freaked out. It matters not if the siblings are the same or different sex, partner swapping among family is just wrong in my book, so so wrong.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Karen, he's still love you. I know it. You are a riot. He likes strong, funny women who knows what they want.

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "Karen, he's still love you. I know it. You are a riot. He likes strong, funny women who knows what they want."

I have the feeling I'd like him too. I mean how could I not he's your brother and that right there makes him awesome.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Karen wrote: "I mean how could I not he's your brother and that right there makes him awesome. "

That's what he says. ;)

message 21: by Karen (new)

Karen ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "Karen wrote: "I mean how could I not he's your brother and that right there makes him awesome. "

That's what he says. ;)"

See smart man.

message 22: by Ele (new)

Ele ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "Ele wrote: "Yeah, Dani's brother is seriously hot. Like....totally gorgeous. It's the eyes. In contrast with the hair. Oh and his body is like...

I'll shut up now because it's your brother. "

Do ..."

It's true. I'm a perv and you all know it.

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen Ele wrote: "~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "Ele wrote: "Yeah, Dani's brother is seriously hot. Like....totally gorgeous. It's the eyes. In contrast with the hair. Oh and his body is like...

I'..."

Psst Ele, if we're being honest here welcome to the club ;-)