Kristin's Reviews > The Tenant of Wildfell Hall

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë

bookshelves: books-i-own

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this book! I didn't know anything about the plot, except that it involved alcoholism. Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books, and Wuthering Heights is one of my least favorite books.

I ended up really enjoying it, if "enjoying" is the correct term since most of the time I felt like I was watching a train wreck. But I couldn't look away! I was surprised by how readable and addicting this book was from the start...it's a decently long book (my edition is almost 600 pages), and I read it much more quickly than I expected to. I didn't want to put it down and just really wanted to find out what was going to happen next.

I was not expecting a huge chunk of the book to be a flashback through Helen's diary. I didn't mind once I got into it, but it felt jarring when it ended and I had to remember the other characters that had been important in the beginning.

I liked Helen all along, though I thought she was incredibly stupid when she went against her aunt's wished to marry Huntingdon and kept insisting that if he was as bad as they'd heard, she could probably change him. And while I admired her patience and persistence and character during her marriage, I also don't think I could have done what she did. (Putting up with the woman her husband was involved with staying at her house even after she found out about the infidelity, going back and taking care of that horrible man, etc.) I guess it was a true example of Christian behavior but wow...she must be a much better person than me.

I was glad for the happy ending for everyone (who deserved it, anyway). I guess Gilbert was okay, though I did think he was unstable and crazy when he attacked Mr. Lawrence. (Who I didn't suspect to be who he ended up being!)

So I really liked this book...maybe almost loved it? Just a few little things kept me from giving it 5 stars. I'm sure it'll be one of my favorites of the year, anyway. It didn't really feel like a Bronte novel to me, though I'm not quite sure why not. But I like it when a classic you've always heard about turns out really good and worth reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

March 9, 2016 – Shelved