Chris (The Genre Fiend)'s Reviews > The Short and Excruciatingly Embarrassing Reign of Captain Abbott

The Short and Excruciatingly Embarrassing Reign of Captain Ab... by Andrew P. Street

This is one - pardon the pun - hell of a Good Read.

Street knows his stuff, and presents it with erudite sarcasm. He targets not just every gaffe and potentially criminal misdemeanour Abbott himself is responsible for, but also shines a revelatory light on the incredulous shenanigans of the likes of Pyne, Brandis, Dutton, Morrison and others. The book balances sly and sardonic asides on the unfeasible and, in some cases, incomprehensible actions of our 2013-2015 government, alongside genuinely heartfelt rousing calls to unjingoistic patriotism and human collaboration. While he's a very funny man, Street is also clearly not one to mince words about the breathtaking incompetence of Abbott's team(s).

This is one for both political nuts like me as well as more casual readers - any jargon or complex terminology is streamlined, usually with entertaining footnotes - and is required reading for anyone who, also like me, lived through the hell that was the Abbott years. We're still dealing with Tony's unmatched idiocy months after his vanquishing, and Street's book helps take the sting from the wounds Abbott inflicted on both the international perception of Australia and our own national spirit.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Short and Excruciatingly Embarrassing Reign of Captain Abbott.

March 9, 2016 – Started Reading