Rane's Reviews > How to Be a Victorian: A Dawn-to-Dusk Guide to Victorian Life

How to Be a Victorian by Ruth Goodman

1987431

bookshelves: historical

Fascinated by the Victorian era for many years now, I gobbled up piece by piece of this book. Ruth Goodman makes everything fun and interesting as she herself is not only a historian but reenacts things she has read and research herself from corset wearing, farming and everyday life of, in this case, a Victorian.
Goodman sets up the book from morning to night from having breakfast to being tucked into bed at night. Somethings she spent a lot of time on, which at times could be bad or good depending on the subject at hand, but no doubt of the historical aspect and papers that have survived to this day.
I do wish some subjects she spent a little bit more time on like the leisure then again that maybe a whole book on it's own.

I adore history because it tends to stay around no matter how those who write it want to change it. I was surprised at some of the treatments Victorians went through mostly the poor kids who am surprised made it to adulthood!

For those who love history or lovers of the Victorian age and want to really see how they lived, I think will really enjoy this book and all it's historical and fun goodness!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Be a Victorian.

March 9, 2016 – Started Reading
March 9, 2016 – Shelved
March 10, 2016 –
page 1
0.22% "Once you were up, to add warmth and comfort to otherwise chilled start, at any hour you would hope to step out on to a mat rather than the bare wooden floor" "Among the less wealthy, underfoot provision was scare..." If you were fortunate and lived in a textile-weaving district,".. rag runs were a popular solution" \n Rag rugs are super easy to make and soft!"
March 12, 2016 –
page 13
2.84% "Dry rubbing of the body with a clean linen towel also helped to remove dirt, grease and sweat from the skin and gave the added benefit of stimulating the circulation" I know, because I have tried it for extended periods, body odour is kept at bay. The longest I have been without washing with water is four months" Now this I could understand maybe in cooler areas but hotter places that reach 100's we "want" a bath!"
March 12, 2016 –
page 24
5.24% ""She suggested that a sanitary napkin should be suspended from the shoulders with a pair of braces' "Sanitary pads required the belt to hold them in place. This method didn't go out until the 1970's" \n \n For real? Till the 1970's?"
March 14, 2016 –
page 172
37.55% ""In 1837, they were diaper woven cotton or linen napkins- hence American "diapers" and British "nappies".\n \n Makes sense!"
March 16, 2016 –
page 198
43.23% "Any slight sickness was generally treated in the first instance with a laxative of sort- "Stomach pains, or the suspicion of stomach pains, would lead to yet another.""Bad temper was sometimes interpreted as yet another sign that a child needed a laxative" \n \n From opiates to keep a child quiet to laxatives for any changes even slight, I feel sorry for these kids in Victorian era!"
March 21, 2016 –
page 250
March 22, 2016 –
page 312
March 23, 2016 – Shelved as: historical
March 23, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda That is terrible, Rane! It is a wonder that anyone was 'normal' from that era.

Rane It's scary but oddly enough it was the stress of advertisements that made them choose what they thought was good for their child. Much like today in how there is an ad for anything and everything and tends to be in our faces.

message 3: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda I guess I just can't fathom giving opiates to a child. And plenty of kids get nervous for one reason and or another but laxatives as the cure-all?

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Leighton Sounds really interesting! Is there anything about life in the United States during the Victorian age or does it focus solely on Victorian England?

message 5: by Alice (new) - added it

Alice Lake This is a great recommendation Rane, thanks! I added it to my TBR list, especially since I'm always looking for history books that will help with my own research. (I write Victorian stories)