Kristy's Reviews > Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Education

Dumbing Us Down by John Taylor Gatto

Feb 18, 2008

Recommended to Kristy by: Dallas Cox
Recommended for: It is a must read for anyone who wishes their children to be educated, not just "schooled".
Read in February, 2008

This was an excellent book written by a NY teacher of the year who taught for 26 years in the "government controlled monopoly school system". It is an eye opener that what is needed is less money, not more. More choices, more freedoms, more time with children home, more time for children to be children, allowing them to learn HOW to think, not WHAT to think. Interesting to learn that the literacy rate in colonial America was close to total, and hasnt been that high since just before the Civil War when compulsory schooling (government monopoly schooling) began. (An 1850's 5th grade math textbook would today be considered college level). The 7 lessons kids are learning that he talks about in the first chapter were a definate eye opener. I would dare say they are lessons no parent would wish their children to "learn".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dumbing Us Down.

02/08/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane Funny you should read this book. It is for sale at Northfield School where Kirie is going. I thought it looked interesting. I think I may have to buy it. Thanks for writing about it.
Jane

Aimee Tariq I completely agree :)