Nick Davies's Reviews > The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature

The Red Queen by Matt Ridley

bookshelves: 2016

This was an interesting exploration of the reasons for sexual reproduction in many organisms, as well as then discussing the science with relation to human sexuality and sociology. Ridley makes good thorough use of a broad range of research findings in the area, discussing these with (mainly) even-handedness and a breadth of illustrative examples. The central theme relates to the importance of sexual reproduction in protection from disease and in best perpetuating our genes. It's an educational and readable book, full of useful facts and insights - I would recommend it to anyone interested in the subject.

Unfortunately for me, I found some of it hard going because much of the science was stuff I already knew about from my college and university education, and previous books I've read on the subject. I've read other Matt Ridley books before, and he seems to have honed his skills in later books - at times this got slightly bogged down and lacked pace and direction in the slower sections where I thought too many examples were given.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Queen.

March 9, 2016 – Started Reading