LP King's Reviews > A Taste of Magic

A Taste of Magic by Tracy Madison

Mar 28, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: women-s-fiction-romance
Recommended for: chick lit fans
Read from March 18 to 27, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

While there are numerous romantic elements to this story, it's more of a chick lit tale than a romance. It was enjoyable enough as a light read, but suffers from several flaws.

The stream of consciousness of the protagonist, Liz, is often too detailed and loosely written. At times, the reader feels like she's chatting on the phone to her angst ridden best friend, rather than reading a novel. In romance, exploration of the characters' motivations and thoughts can be more detailed and explanatory than in other genres, but Liz's self-justifications and self-examinations could have used editorial tightening.

At times, the story meanders. Some sub-plots and side stories are distracting. They don't serve the purpose of moving the story along or revealing Liz's character and growth.

Because the story is chick lit, I wouldn't expect a detailed examination of the psyche of Liz's love interest, but I felt three secondary male characters were fleshed out better than the man with whom Liz is falling in love. Her interactions with her ex-husband were instrumental in Liz's maturation, her process of moving past her nasty divorce. However, I felt the balance between revelation of her ex's character and that of her business partner and her personal trainer was suboptimal from the perspective of developing the story arc.

The magical element, Liz's inherited ability to cast spells through her baking, is an effective story mechanism for highlighting her personal growth. Before she tries out her newly acquired powers, she's stuck in a holding pattern a year after a nasty divorce. If this book were literature, I'd say the magical ability is a metaphor for moving past self-absorbed early adulthood and into maturity. Though the novel is light entertainment, there is some element of the literary device in the paranormal aspect of the tale. However, this book is designed more to appeal to readers of chick lit than paranormal romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Taste of Magic.