Mike's Reviews > The Lies of Locke Lamora

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

1940138

bookshelves: fantasy, print, owned, series
Recommended for: Any fantasy reader

I read this back in March after hearing many great things. Really, it was a pretty fun novel and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's not a dark as a lot of modern fantasy, but still incapsulates enough realism for you to relate to the characters.

The Lies of Locke Lamora is basically a heist story set in a fantasy version of Venice, which I thought was really cool. Venice is a truly unique place and I really enjoyed how Lynch took inspiration from it and blended it perfectly into the story.

The novel also had a pretty interesting plot. The heist is a big aspect of the story, but there's really a lot more to it than that and those extra bits are what really help weave a complex and compelling story. Let's just suffice it to say that not everything goes Locke's way and I think that was a good thing. It was interesting seeing how Locke adapted to the circumstances and how it changed him as a character.

I also really liked the characters. The novel was told from Locke's perspective so I guess it's pretty essential that you relate to Locke. He's not a perfect character and I didn't always agree with his choices, but he's an interesting character for sure. And how can you not like Jean Tannen? He really was a perfect secondary character.

Overall, I liked the novel and would recommend it to any fantasy reader. It's not as dark and grim as George R.R. Martin or Joe Abercrombie, but it's not light and fluffy either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lies of Locke Lamora.

March 28, 2011 – Shelved
March 4, 2012 – Started Reading
March 14, 2012 –
page 239
33.1% "Pretty good so far but I'm still waiting to be sucked in."
March 20, 2012 –