Heather's Reviews > Bloody Jack

Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer

Mar 28, 2011

bookshelves: audiobook

I picked up this audiobook on the recommendation of my pirate obsessed friends and the fact that it is narrated by Katherine Kelgren, who is awesome. I was not disappointed in the least! Never a dull moment in the life of Jacky Faber. The pacing of information felt very strongly like The Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce (which is a good thing in my opinion) and as I love the period in which the book is set the information was wonderful. Again similar to the Alanna books, Jacky has moments of womanly self discovery and love that are in most every girl-disguised-as-a-boy story but it never gets old to me. I love it!

Jacky is such a distinct character and I'm glad somebody wrote her because I certainly couldn't have come up with anyone so insane and wonderful. The girl is seriously insane and delightfully so. Very confident which is refreshing from some recents reads. And Katherine Kellgren narrates the story to new heights with her charming accents.

And pirates. Yes please! I will be coming back for more Jacky Faber in the near future, I can tell!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloody Jack.

March 28, 2011 – Shelved