Lani's Reviews > Drood

Mar 28, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: borrowed, historicalfiction
Read in October, 2011

This book would have been just fine if it had been about half the length, but ultimately it was a slog. I thought maybe I didn't appreciate some of the book because I haven't read much Dickens and am not overly familiar with the era. However, I borrowed it from someone who is actually a fan of the narrator, Wilkie Collins, and she agreed that the book was MUCH too long.

While I understood that much of the book is meant to be confusing as Collins deteriorates into an opium-induced hallucination, I found many plot points nearly impossible to follow or figure out. I finished the book feeling pretty unsatisfied, but not in a 'food for thought' and book club discussion kind of way. Mostly I just felt that Simmons had too many loose ends to tie up and forgot many of them along the way.

The writing was fine, the descriptions were lavish, and the book was an interesting introduction to Dickens. But even with those compliments, I wouldn't recommend that anyone invest the amount of time needed to get through the book. It seemed interminable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drood.