Dolly's Reviews > Meet the Austins

Meet the Austins by Madeleine L'Engle

1019021
Mar 28, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, aviation, childrens, pets, new-england, other-usa, ocean-seashore, education-school, relationships
Recommended for: parents reading with their children
Read from March 27 to December 17, 2011 , read count: 1

Hallelujah! We finally finished this book! We started it about nine months ago...

This is an interesting tale of a family's life in rural Vermont, filled with moral lessons, compassion and anecdotes that are at times sad, funny or happy. The family eschewed the materialism that seems to plague Americans; and the traditions and principles that the family holds dear are ones that we could all likely benefit from in our own lives. The tale has an old fashioned feel to it, which makes sense as the story was written over thirty years ago, but still, the lessons are timeless.

But good heavens, it took us forever to slog through it. I'm not sure why, but it was never compelling enough for our girls to choose it during our nightly storytime and it was often forgotten until we'd have to return it to the library. Then, after a few weeks, we'd borrow it again. Still, we read it at such a slow pace that it seemed like we'd never finish it. I pretty much had to insist on reading it, especially over the last week, since once again we have to return it.

So, as much as we enjoyed the stories, I would recommend this for an independent read rather than a read aloud. We really liked the stories, though, and I will probably look at the next book in the series...eventually.

interesting quotes:

"All he means is that you shouldn't be afraid to be yourself, even if it means being different." (p. 154)

"We wanted it to last forever just the way it was, but Grandfather said wonderful things couldn't last forever, or they would be dulled by repetition and cease being wonderful." (p. 187)

new word: catalpa
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meet the Austins.

03/28/2011 page 22