Hero's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Actual rating 4.5 stars. It took me almost a year to finish this book. I started it last summer but got as far as the first chapter and had to set it down. Not that it was bad or anything, I just was not into it. I've never been into fantasy or sci-fi books. Anyway am I glad I picked it back up recently.

Great story and the multiple point of view chapters are interesting, where each chapter is strictly from that person's view and perspective. The writing itself is straightforward with no fancy-schmancy words or phrasing to trip up the average reader. Yet the stories are intricate and fascinating, even if you wanted to rant and rave at some of the protagonists and villains.

All in all, I'm glad I came back to finish this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Started Reading
March 4, 2016 – Finished Reading
March 6, 2016 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Ashley I feel the same way. I thought the book Game of Thrones was fantastic. But I never actually finished book two and am not sure I will ever get through all the books. It's a really well-done series (based on what I read) and I will continue to watch the show, but there are not enough elements I really enjoy, like romance, to make me want to rush through the series anytime soon.

Hero You know, I've been mulling over the past few days whether to take the plunge to read book two. You've pinpointed the exact reason why - the lack of romance. Sure, you've got sex and violence and magic, but there's no magical love to reel me in. I compare this to The Captive Prince series where after finishing the first book I _had_ to immediately read book two even though it was 1AM in the morning at the time, and the biggest reason was the tantalizing promise of Damen and Laurent's romance, albeit in a very twisted way. This is why I'm intrigued by R + L, it's the romance factor.

Ashley Hero wrote: "This is why I'm intrigued by R + L, it's the romance factor."

Same! R+L=J is what got me reading the book in the first place, after almost five years of having watched the show. I'm really hoping we get some real attention paid to that backstory this season.

Hero I also picked up the book after 8 months because you'd told me about R+ L! Yes to some backstory exposition. I think we may get a certain tower scene. R won't be there but let's hope L will be in it. In fact one of my favorite scenes in this book was Ned's dream after his altercation with Jaime: