John Strubhart's Reviews > Quantum Man: Richard Feynman's Life in Science

Quantum Man by Lawrence M. Krauss

Mar 27, 2011

Recommended to John by: I did it myself.
Recommended for: Students of physics and science history

With the disclaimer that Richard Feynman is my all-time favorite physicist, I thought this was a great book. Lawrence Krauss can get goofy with his writing sometime - like in A Universe From Nothing, for instance - but here, he expressed no ideology other than that Feynman was a remarkable person and physicist. That's a claim that is very hard to argue with. I've read the other biographies, but I get the most insight into how Feynman approached problems from this treatment of his life and work. Krauss digs up some of the best accounts of Feynman from people who worked with him or were inspired by him. Being a physicist himself, Krauss went back to Feynman's original publications and the publications of those who built their work on his and even if he had not written this book, I'm certain that he gained a remarkable perspective on how his own work was influenced by Feynman. Now, if you want to read about the adventures that Feynman had - and they are awesome adventures - I would suggest reading Surely, You're Joking Mr. Feynman, What Do You Care What Other People Think and Tuva or Bust. You won't regret it. However, if you want to get a sense of how physics was influenced by Feynman, read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quantum Man.

January 25, 2011 – Started Reading
March 27, 2011 – Shelved
June 6, 2011 –
3.0% "Feynman is one of my heroes."
March 30, 2013 –
January 5, 2015 –
60.0% "For the love of physics, and nothing more."
April 11, 2015 –
68.0% "The greatest expression of a love for nature is in striving to understand it."
April 23, 2015 –
73.0% "I think I've got the right idea, to do crazy things."
April 27, 2015 –
82.0% "Right answer, wrong question."
May 6, 2015 –
89.0% "Feynman's musings gave birth to nanotechnology and modern computing."
May 7, 2015 –
100.0% "Because he liked to know stuff."
May 7, 2015 – Finished Reading