Shelley's Reviews > The Winds of Marble Arch and Other Stories

The Winds of Marble Arch and Other Stories by Connie Willis

May 31, 2007

bookshelves: sci-fi, historical
Read in December, 2007

For some reason, it took me awhile to get into the title story. It's classic Connie and once I picked it back up after vacation, it flew. But it's still not my favorite.

I did immediately love Cash Crop. It was an early story, so haunted, very reminiscint of Daisy, in the Sun. I wasn't surprised by the twist, but I had thought she was a carrier. Still, this was gorgeous. I thought it was my favorite, until I read the next new story.

Curse of the Kings was creepy and scary and if you love The Mummy, you will adore this.

Nonstop to Portales was very very interesting, and I loved the twist at the end. It was a very quiet story, not very Connie until the end, but I enjoyed it.

Then. Then came The Soul Selects Her Own Society: Invasion and Repulsion: A Chronological Reinterpretation of Two of Emily Dickinson's Poems: A Wellsian Perspective, and that was my very favoritest of all. If only this wasn't a 700+ page book, because I want everyone to read this and it's a hard book to loan out for a 10 page story. I don't think I have ever laughed so hard, though. It's a brief article written by a desperate English professor who wants tenure, reinterpreting Emily Dickinson's poetry through H.G. Welles's theory of zombies. Complete with poems that she wrote after her death and were found by another desperate grad student in 1990. *g* It's a must read.

I paid extra for the signed copy with two extra stories. Capra Corn was a delight - I figured out the movies immediately, which was fun. Definitely a precurser to Spice Pogrom, another screwball comedy of hers that I adore. Substitution Trick was also a great deal of fun.

Overall: A++ wonderful stuff. I can't wait for the next novel.

Original review:
It's here, it's here!! My beautiful humongous signed Connie Willis book with brand new stories, yay!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winds of Marble Arch and Other Stories.

Quotes Shelley Liked

Connie Willis
“Actually, writers have no business writing about their own works. They either wax conceited, saying things like: 'My brilliance is possibly most apparent in my dazzling short story, "The Cookiepants Hypotenuse."' Or else they get unbearably cutesy: 'My cat Ootsywootums has given me all my best ideas, hasn't oo, squeezums?”
Connie Willis, The Winds of Marble Arch and Other Stories