Megan's Reviews > The White Mary

The White Mary by Kira Salak

bookshelves: audible-book, bookgroup

The White Mary is a fictional story about a tough as nails war reporter, Marika Vecera, who hears that her idol in the j0urnalist world--Robert Lewis has committed suicide. She starts working on his biography and along the way gets word that a missionary claims to have seen Lewis alive. Marika leaves Boston and the relationship that she has alternately been nurturing and killing to search for Lewis in Papua New Guinea. I love the comparison made by Publisher's Weekly that this story is a cross between "Heart of Darkness" and "Tomb Raider."
On the harrowing journey--filled with leeches, disease, deadly robbers, and superstition, Marika's life is played in flashbacks.
For me, the theme of the story is--what can heal the lowest depravity that can be dished out to a human soul--God? Suicide? Isolation? Blocking all emotion? Marika lives this question over and over, both in her own and others' life choices, before she finally makes her own choice.
This book has a lot of torture--the descriptions are very graphic. Also language and sex.
We're reading this book for our Funner book group--although the dark content of this book makes it one of the less fun books we've read.
Not a favorite book, but a very powerful one.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Mary.

February 12, 2016 – Started Reading