Rachel (Life of a Female Bibliophile)'s Reviews > Santa Muerte

Santa Muerte by Lucina Stone

Santa Muerte is a story about a girl named Daniela who is deeply depressed and unhappy with her life. She attempts suicide in order to free herself from her demons, but is instead transported back in time to the year 1923. From the very beginning of the novel, the plot is laid out into a giant puzzle which entices readers to solve the mysteries presented before them. The suspense factors in this novel definitely had me hooked.

While time travel is a glorious thing in most fantasy novels, 1923 is a dangerous time for Daniela because she’s a person of color. Stone doesn’t stray away from writing about the tense race relations of the time, but also touches on issues such as gender identity and mental illness in this book. Daniela is scared to be away from home, suspicious of everything and everyone, and knows that she has to be on top on things in order to survive this ordeal. I enjoyed the details Stone put into the novel to give it historical accuracy (ex. language, culture, society) and it made it feel if the reader was traveling back in time as well.

Santa Muerte is very fast paced and the time-travel and magic aspect of the novel is what makes it very entertaining. There is much mystery surrounding Daniela’s coven family that has yet to be revealed even after finishing the first book While we get sneak peeks of some characters back story, there are still a lot of questions to be answered.

While I had fun reading this novel my only complaints about the book was the point of view jumped around frequently, and I felt that there was too much happening in such a short period of time. Other than those things, this is a great fantasy novel!

FTC Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Santa Muerte.

March 6, 2016 – Shelved