☼♄Jülie 's Reviews > The Precipice

The Precipice by Virginia Duigan

20814018

bookshelves: aussie-author, 2015-release, crime-mystery, cultural-australia, aww2016-bingo-challenge
Recommended to ☼♄Jülie  by: Self

I listened to the audio version of this book which was read by the very eloquent author.
It is a very long audio and I found it did tend to ramble on at times causing me to get a bit frustrated with it, I wanted it to get a move on.
I thought Thea was more than a bit interfering...however justified or not, and her penchant for dropping big words was a little over the top (I like author's to use a good range of words to describe what is happening within a story, but it seemed here that the author was just dropping these words in for effect.)
Nonetheless I found myself being pulled into the story and once I stopped waiting for something to happen I started to enjoy the interactions between the main players, and a deeper picture began to emerge...though this was getting quite late in the story.
...And here is why I was shocked out of my socks at the ending!
This may be a spoiler...
(view spoiler)

It has taken me several days to try and think of what to say in my review but I am none the wiser for having done so.
I don't believe this description on the cover accurately describes this book, "A psychological literary thriller where one woman's suspicions threaten to tear a family apart."
Admittedly I didn't pay a lot of attention to the blurb, rather I took this book on face value, all the same I would have probably classed it as contemporary fiction.

Bottom line is, the author is a very eloquent writer and narrator, and while I did enjoy being gradually pulled into this story, I feel like I must have missed some key piece. Or that there was just so much more to the tale than there was to the gist of the story.
To me it was like two stories, one not quite finished and one finished too soon.

I erred in favour of a 4★s rating because the writing was good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Precipice.

March 6, 2016 – Started Reading
March 6, 2016 – Shelved as: cultural-australia
March 11, 2016 –
March 17, 2016 –
March 19, 2016 –
100.0% "WHAT ?! I didn't foresee that at all!"
March 19, 2016 – Finished Reading
April 22, 2016 – Shelved as: aww2016-bingo-challenge

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by MaryG2E (new)

MaryG2E Interesting to read your honest review Julie.

message 2: by ☼♄Jülie  (last edited Mar 21, 2016 04:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

☼♄Jülie  MaryG2E wrote: "Interesting to read your honest review Julie."

I have to be honest Mary :) Though I think that some books lend themselves better to audio than others. This being quite a lengthy one with lots of dialogue would probably suit me better in book form...all the better to absorb it.
Psychological thriller...even thriller, this was not.