Tamara's Reviews > Real Simple 869 New Uses for Old Things: An Encyclopedia of Innovative Ideas for Everyday Items

Real Simple 869 New Uses for Old Things by Real Simple

Mar 27, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, green
Read in March, 2011

Not all entries are eco-friendly, but many of the tips reuse everyday household items. My biggest complaint is that a lot of the suggestions are party-related. I don't entertain that often, and when I do I don't need a lot of things they suggested.

Aluminum foil: Use to scrub food off of a glass pan

Baby powder: Prevent sweat stains on white shirts by sprinkling powder on underarms of shirts then ironing.

Citrus peel: Lightly salt the peel to rub off coffee stains from a mug. Or use vinegar.

Clothespin: Clip a nail with a clothespin to hold it in place when hammering to avoid hurting yourself.

Cooking spray: Coat a grater with it so cheese slides off.

Deodorant: Rub clear stick deodorant on heels before wearing new shoes to prevent blisters.

Lemon juice: Rub on lips to remove wine stains. Rub on cutting board & let sit for 20 minutes to remove stains. Mix with teaspoon of cream of tartar to clean tile grout.

Microwave: Disinfect sponges by microwaving them for 1 minute after soaking them with water mixed with white vinegar or lemon juice.

Rubber bands: Wrap on ends of hanger to keep slippery clothes from falling off.

Soda bottle: Prop up boots by inserting one in each shoe.

Towel rod: Hang in a closet to store spray cleaners on.

Tube socks: Slip onto windshield wipers to prevent them from icing in the winter.

Vase: Use to store kitchen utensils.

Vinegar: Spray on weeds between cracks to kill them.

Wall calendar: Use old ones to wrap presents.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real Simple 869 New Uses for Old Things.

Rebecca I kind of love these. Especially the clothespin one. I mean, duh. How many finger smashes might I have saved?