Lori's Reviews > The Hollow Hills

The Hollow Hills by Mary  Stewart

bookshelves: fantasy, arthurian, historical-fiction, mary-stewart, favorites

** spoiler alert ** An absolutely wonderful interpretation of the Arthurian Legend!!! Mary Stewart's writing is captivating! The Hollow Hills is a thoroughly satisfying read; a masterpiece! (I am not sure what else I can say that has not already been said about this book.)

My favorite passage:

"If it was indeed the King's sword of Britain, and Arthur was to be the King who would lift it, it must lie in a place as holy and as haunted as the shrine where I myself had found it. And when the day came the boy must be led to it himself, even as I had been led. I was the god's instrument, but I was not the god's hand."

I particularly loved the way Mary Stewart brings Arthur and Merlin together in the Wild Forest; I would say the moment they finally meet face to face shines through as a favorite of mine. This book is enjoyable from cover to cover! I loved it! I would highly recommend this book to any of my friends!

P.S. Grown-ups only, please!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hollow Hills.

Quotes Lori Liked

Mary  Stewart
“Only a child expects life to be just; it's a man's part to stand by the consequences of his deeds.”
Mary Stewart, The Hollow Hills

page 418
March 19, 2016 – Finished Reading
September 23, 2016 – Shelved as: mary-stewart
December 5, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister Lovely review! You make me want to pick it up and finish it this weekend. MS is the best.

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane Glad you're really enjoying this seres. Do you start book #3 soon? (One of these days I'll start Madam Will You Talk; I hope I like it as much as you enjoyed this.)

Lori Jane,
I did go ahead and buy book #3, so I have it on hand. I am going to read This Rough Magic by Mary Stewart this week. When I finish reading that, I think I will go ahead and read the final book in the trilogy while some of the details are still fresh in my mind. Books begin to fade so quickly for me now! Yikes! I've heard good things about MWYT, and all of Stewart's books really. At this point, I am fairly certain I am going to love all of her books. She is one of the best authors I have ever read. It did not take long for me to appreciate the quality of her writing. If I find MWYT, I will let you know. Maybe we can read it together??

xox

Lori debbie~cr8zycat~ wrote: "Lovely review! You make me want to pick it up and finish it this weekend. MS is the best."

Debbie,

Thank you! It's not really difficult to be enthusiastic about this book!! It's good to the last drop!

xox

Sara I cannot tell you how much it thrills me when someone loves these books the way I do. It is as if someone is complimenting one of your children (can't imagine how Mary Stewart must have felt after she actually gave birth to them.)

Candi Wonderful, Lori! This truly is an exceptional series. Glad you are hooked too!

Lori Sara wrote: "I cannot tell you how much it thrills me when someone loves these books the way I do. It is as if someone is complimenting one of your children (can't imagine how Mary Stewart must have felt after ..."

Sara,

I agree. It is marvelous to connect with others in the reading community that appreciate so many of the same books and authors that I do. Even within my own family, this is not always possible because our taste in literature is so varied. I think my daughter is the only one who would be willing to give Mary Stewart a try. And believe me, I have already been giving her a nudge!!

xox

Lori Candi wrote: "Wonderful, Lori! This truly is an exceptional series. Glad you are hooked too!"

Candi,

Mary Stewart had popped up on my radar, but it was your wonderful review of The Crystal Cave that gets the credit for my first Mary Stewart purchase. Now, I am a collector!!! I snagged This Rough Magic and Airs Above The Ground in a used bookstore!! Hehe!!

xox

Candi Lori, I know I will be grabbing her books whenever I see them as well! I am glad that my review of The Crystal Cave convinced you to try MS :)