Vinaya's Reviews > High Noon

High Noon by Nora Roberts

So, this book marks a big moment for me...

Yes, that's right, I have now finished ONE HUNDRED books this year. *cue applause*

A couple of months ago, Flannery and I discovered that we shared a mutual love for Nora Roberts. We then decided that we would devote an entire week to Nothing But Nora, revisiting all of our favourite Nora novels. High Noon is the first in my NBN book list.

High Noon is not my absolute favourite Nora novel, but it is amongst the ones I like best. Actually, the reason I started off with this one was because I watched The Negotiator (Kevin Spacey, Samuel L. Jackson) about a week ago, and it reminded me of High Noon. The book's been stuck in my head ever since. Phoebe MacNamara is a negotiator for the Atlanta PD, cool, composed and tough. Duncan Swift first meets her when she arrives on St.Patrick's Day to talk one of his suicidal ex-employees off a ledge. He's impressed by her abilities and struck by her sex appeal. But Phoebe's not an easy woman to have a relationship with; she's got a seven year old daughter, an agoraphobic mother and very many professional and personal responsibilities. And worse, it appears that she is being stalked by a psychopathic co-worker.

One of the things I like best about Roberts's novels, both romance and romantic suspense, is how her MCs always have such cool jobs. She really puts time and effort into detailing the vocation of each of her heroines, be it a baker, or a sculptor, or a cat burglar. It's like a fun career guide, drawing you into the lives of people with these careers, giving you a taste of what it's like to be a wedding planner or a hostage negotiator.

Nora Roberts is also one of the best romantic suspense authors out there. Despite starting her career in mainstream romance, she manages to skilfully juggle the romantic and suspense elements in her book, without giving undue precedence to either. (Julie Garwood, I'm looking at you!)

High Noon builds both suspense and romance very well. Phoebe is beautifully drawn character, tough, independent and smart. She has a quick temper and an inability to lean on other people for support, but she's never stupid, and doesn't give independent women a bad name. Too often, being independent in romance novels means being blindly stubborn and bitter about men, but Phoebe skilfully avoids this cliché, and her interaction with Duncan made me feel all gooey and warm.

Another thing that Nora Roberts portrays amazingly well is the bonds of family. From the MacGregors to the Stanislaskis, many of her books have the kind of family ties we all dream of. Her families are loving, boisterous and tied together by strong bonds. In a genre where secondary characters are two-dimensional, at best, Roberts' draws a moving picture of Phoebe's relationships with her mother, surrogate sister and brother.

Duncan, too has a family, of the heart, if not by blood. His best friend is black, but you don't see Roberts making a big hoo-haa about it. She mentions the info, and then drops it; even though Duncan is an integral member of Phin's all-black family, you still think of it as natural-- no trumpets about race, and racial integrity are blown to show off the author's all-inclusiveness. I heart Nora.

All in all, High Noon is a fast-paced, satisfying read for anyone who's looking for an action-packed family drama with a suspense element. This book was a great start to Nora Week, and I'm looking forward to rediscovering other old favourites...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read High Noon.

March 27, 2011 – Started Reading
March 27, 2011 – Shelved
March 27, 2011 – Shelved as: books-i-loved
March 27, 2011 – Shelved as: favorites
March 27, 2011 – Shelved as: re-reading-times-1-million
March 27, 2011 – Shelved as: nora-week-with-flann-and-maureen
March 27, 2011 –
10.0% "...she tucked up her legs, shifted a little toward him. "You're a funny guy." "Sometimes. But with serious and sensitive sides, if you're counting points." "Points?" "There's always a point system in this kind of situation. He's clean. She has breasts. Points added. He has a stupid laugh, she hates sports, points subtracted." "How'm I doing?" "I'm not sure I'm going to be able to add that high without my calculator.""
March 28, 2011 – Shelved as: comparative-5-stars
March 28, 2011 – Shelved as: romantic-suspense
March 28, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments (showing 1-18)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Flannery FIVE STARS? Heck, I hope you write a review for it:) We are both on to #2.

Vinaya I'm writing the review right now! :)

Flannery We should each read at least three of the shorter Silhouette ones because they don't seem to have many reviews. I'm gonna go ahead and totally disregard my own advice since I just started Born in Fire a few minutes ago.

message 14: by Flannery (last edited Mar 28, 2011 03:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Flannery I love TWH, but you should read CB. You've been talking about that one for a while...

message 13: by Maureen (new)

Maureen I am loving NBN week so far - and seeing what you guys are reading for it!

100 books so far this year? That's pretty impressive!!

Sarai - Sarai Talks Books This year alone?! My god.

message 11: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana 100th book! OMG! IDK how you do it, but congrats.

message 10: by I am Bastet (new)

I am Bastet 100 is amazing! You are awesome. It is my goal, but I do not think I will make it.

message 9: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie Oh my good God! 100 already? We're not even close to 1/3 done with the year. Congrats! (PS: I love Nora Roberts' older works, ie: McGregor series, etc, I don't like her newer stuff)

message 8: by Crowinator (new)

Crowinator You're amazing. I thought I was cool for getting to 30 by now! (c:

I think I've read a book by Nora Roberts (or maybe JD Robb) about a jewel thieves that was great, but I can't remember the title. I'll have to look for this one -- it sounds fun.

message 7: by I am Bastet (new)

I am Bastet Vinaya (or Flannery!) would either of you recommend to me a Nora Roberts book? I like romance quite a bit, but have only read one of her books and I only felt so-so about it. However I think I picked the wrong book out of the library because many people love Nora Roberts. I want to give her another try.

message 6: by Megan (last edited Mar 28, 2011 09:46PM) (new)

Megan 100 Books?! I don't know how you do it. Congrats =)

message 5: by jesse (last edited Mar 29, 2011 06:06AM) (new)

jesse DARN IT! How'd you manage 100 books so fast? What's the secret recipe? Obviously I'm not getting the big picture ... How many hours/books per day did you read (usually)?

message 4: by Vinaya (last edited Mar 29, 2011 12:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vinaya Lol, everyone's focused on the 100! But thanks, I feel very proud of my achievement. Even more so than the old lady(?) trying to light her cigarette off the candles!

@Crowinator: I think the book you're talking about is Sweet Revenge.

@ Isis, you should try Blue Smoke, I think you may like it!

@Joe, I read, on an average, about eight hours a day. I'm sort of insomniac, so it all works out! :)

message 3: by Crowinator (new)

Crowinator Vinaya, that summary didn't look familiar, so I used my Google-fu to finally figure it out. It was Honest Illusions! Sweet Revenge sounds good, too!

message 2: by jesse (new)

jesse Vinaya wrote: "Lol, everyone's focused on the 100! But thanks, I feel very proud of my achievement. Even more so than the old lady(?) trying to light her cigarette off the candles!

@Crowinator: I think the book..."

WTF? 8hours? How ... is that possible? No chores? Work? Watching telly? GR-time? 8hours? 8 ... hours ....

message 1: by AH (new)

AH Happy 100th book! That was super fast!