Whitney Atkinson's Reviews > Salt to the Sea

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys

bookshelves: read-in-2016

YOWZA SHE DOES IT AGAIN

In both of Ruta's books, somehow my tears get saved until the moment I close the book, then everything I just read collapses down on me and it gets me choked up. I really really liked Between Shades of Grey because of its ending, and I was so excited to hear about Ruta's second book following non-German (mostly) WWII. I've mentioned before that i'm not a fan of books that are told by a handful of characters. I think they're hard to get into, can be confusing, and none of them end up being fleshed out very well. This book is an example of one that takes 4 perspectives, but executes it very well-done. I loved all four of the characters for separate reasons. They all were four different pieces to a puzzle that had very distinct personalities and each fit a certain shape into the book's equation. Every character came from a different country and each had their own set of goals to accomplish, which made each perspective very compelling and I didn't like one voice over any of the others. Because each of their chapters was so short, this book zoomed by. That combined with the fact that every character had a secret that was one step away from being revealed, it kept me on my toes for the entire book. This book was equal parts heart-warming and tragic (though at times it lingered a bit on the horrific, but what else are you expecting in a book about genocide?). I adored every character and enjoyed how the book stayed true to the time-- not everyone got a happy ending. That conclusion, once again, was very memorable, and I would highly recommend this book if you like 20th century historical fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salt to the Sea.

March 4, 2016 – Started Reading
March 4, 2016 – Shelved
March 6, 2016 – Finished Reading
September 5, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Jaspreet (new) - added it

Jaspreet Kaur | jas_thebookthief Now that is something I was expecting from you Whitney. I just love your views so much because they are genuine and true to the core.

Wendy If you loved both of those, you need to read "Out of the Easy" by her. It is another amazing read!

message 3: by Margo (new) - added it

Margo I just read Out of the Easy by her(my first of her books, and about to head on to Between Shades of Gray) and it's easily my new favorite book!!!