Anissa's Reviews > Maestra

Maestra by L.S. Hilton

it was ok
bookshelves: 2016, arcs-analog-netgalley-edelweiss-etc, contemporary-fiction
Recommended for: fans of what's on trend to read

I'm conflicted about this one. Maybe more correctly, I'm ambivalent. I read this quickly enough but I can't say I liked or disliked it. I enjoyed the art angle and found it very interesting. I usually enjoy reading about morally questionable, hot mess characters who pile on indefensible acts, but I found something lacking in Judith/Lauren. I didn't root for or against her and worse than anything, I reached the end with its promise to continue and knew that I didn't care. I dislike that more than anything, the not caring about her fate. I didn't care about her penchant for designer couture and may have cared more about her if less time had been spent outlining and underscoring that aspect of her.

I don't know what it says about me that I kept waiting for her to shock me. I wish she had. I wish I'd been scandalized and had once reached for some pearls to clutch but I just didn't. The sex here is purely transactionary so while Judith/Lauren feels no connection, neither does this reader. To any of it.

It may be a big summer/beach read and will probably have a great marketing campaign to accompany it. I saw it compared to a splice between Highsmith's Talented Mr. Ripley and 50 Shades. Between the two, I've only read TMR and have to tell you reader, I think your time is better spent reading that. Three stars because the bit about art will stay with me.

I was given a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maestra.

March 4, 2016 – Started Reading