Leah Good's Reviews > Trafficked

Trafficked by Kim Purcell

liked it
bookshelves: 2016, contemporary, orphans-etc, young-adult

I remember the first time I read about human trafficking. My grandmother received Reader's Digest and often had a copy on her coffee table. As an ever-voracious reader, I often read articles from it since it was the most easily available reading material at her apartment. One week I found an article about a girl in her late teens who came to the United States as a domestic servant and was trapped into a life of domestic slavery. An illegal alien through no fault of her own, she had no one to turn to--afraid she'd be arrested if she went to the police.

The true story I read in Reader's Digest nine years ago is fictionalized in this book. It's not the type of story I'll go around recommending to everyone because it's definitely not a PG rated story. Though the author manages to craft the story without writing anything explicit, the main character must deal with multiple untoward advances from the men surrounding her. On the other hand, I believe this is an important story. Human trafficking is something everyone should be aware of, and I firmly believe that a well-told story has huge potential to not only inform, but help people care. Though this is basically 400 pages of a young woman working as a maid, it's definitely a well-told story--gripping because it could happen in the house next to mine and easy to read because of the simple realness of the main character.

Throughout the story, the main character's one comfort is the boy next door. He's a self-conscious American teenager with family problems of his own, but he takes advantage of the few opportunities he gets to be kind to the main character. That kindness ultimately provides the sliver of opportunity she needs to escape from a life that keeps getting worse.

The lesson I took away from this story came from the boy next door. Take time for other people. Care about the people you interact with, even if you don't know them well. You never know who needs a friend, who needs help, who needs a glimmer of hope that a few kind words can give.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trafficked.

March 2, 2016 – Started Reading