MISS VAIN's Reviews > First Grave on the Right

First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

Mar 26, 2011

bookshelves: darynda-jones
Recommended to MISS VAIN by: Cat Russell (Addicted2Heroines)
Read from July 17 to 22, 2011

"So many dead people, so little time."

Charley Davidson is such an inspirational protagonist from the beginning of this book I couldn't get enough of her. Easy 5 stars!!! This book took me on an adventure ride that i was sad and dissapointed when i finished, because i did not want to get off. So many times while reading I burst out laughing while reading: So beware when reading this in public ;)

Never have I read a book before with so many wonderfully imaginative and witty one-liners that I wanted to memorize them so I could store them into a box for later use.

Charley's a Grim Reaper with 3.7 jobs (her words not mine) her most prided position is her own Private Investigation business enabling her to work for the Albuquerque Police Department as her Uncle Bob's (Ubie to Charley) secret weapon of choice. She's snarky, sexy, intelligent, charasmatic, empathetic, quirky, tough, and hilarious.

"My P.I. techniques would never be the stuff of legend. They would never make it into criminology textbooks or university lecture halls. But I did feel that, with some focus, I could have a strong presence in chat rooms.
If I couldn't be a good example, I'd just have to be a horrible warning.

Since she has been able to see dead people since she was born, she works solving various crimes including murder as well as getting messages back to the families of loved ones whom have passed. Though most are skeptic of her abilities she has a very few followers that believe in get ability but she doesn't flaunt it or share it with many for fear of their reaction or the fact that it may be too overwhelming for the person.

I felt this quote from the book accurately describes Charley:
"That's what he told me. You ferry souls to the other side. He said you sparkle like a newborn galaxy and
have more attitude than a rich kid with his daddy's Porsche."

Darynda Jones did a fabulous job creating the new and original character Charley Davidson. It's a breath of fresh air in Urban Fantasy. The plot had me guessing right up until the very end attempting to discover just what is Reyes??!! Only to discover I was completely wrong!

Each character was unique and fun; from Cookie the carefree supportive assistant, Debbie the wicked stepmother, Garrett the unbelievably sexy angry doubting skip-tracker, Reyes scary but deliciously sexy protector, Angel the dead 13 year old gang-banger Private Investigator, three deceased attorneys assisting Charley in solving their murder, as well as her supportive uncle and father.

I would recommend this to readers with a flair for Urban Fantasy looking for something new, mysterious and exciting!

I'm eagerly waiting to continue Charley's story with the release of Second Grave On The Left

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Grave on the Right.

Quotes MISS VAIN Liked

Darynda Jones
“My fore-parts, as you so ineloquently put it, have names.”

I pointed to my right breast. “This is Danger.” Then my left. “And this is Will Robinson. I would appreciate it if you addressed them accordingly.”

After a long pause in which he took the time to blink several times, he asked, “You named your breasts?”

I turned my back to him with a shrug. “I named my ovaries, too, but they don’t get out as much.”

Darynda Jones
“Oh, and she told me that men want only one thing.
And on that note, I must give praise and thanks to the powers that be. I don't want much else from them either.”

Darynda Jones
“Maybe I needed sensitivity training. I once signed up for an anger management class, but the instructor pissed me off.”

Darynda Jones
“If I couldn't be a good example, I'd just have to be a horrible warning.”

Darynda Jones
“He said you sparkle like a newborn galaxy and have more attitude than a rich kid with his daddy's Porsche.”

07/17/2011 page 1
0.0% "Better to see dead than be dead"

Christen (GoldiloxReads and Whimsify) Ooh yay! I heard this was great!

MISS VAIN It's been on my TBR list forever. Cat recommended it to me way back in February or so. The second book is being released beginning of August so I figure it's time to read it :)

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) So how has it been so far?
I've had a depressingly small amount of time to read lately. I'm hoping that changes soon.

MISS VAIN Sorry I didn't get notification for until now:(
I can totally relate to your being depressed about how little time you have to read, I'm right there with you. I started Sunday and I'm barely on page 104 but I meant to tell you I absolutely Love it so far :) Charley Davidson is hilarious and Darynda Jones is a genius with her ability to make her characters likable, relatable and funny! ;)

Hopefully we both get more time to read soon.

Samina ~ Escapism~ I understand your pain Cat.I also get depressed when I can't find reading time.
I hope you enjoy this Vain I liked it and eagerly waiting for the second book.

MISS VAIN Me too Samina! :) Thanks

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) I was only able to read 20 pages today! I'm going to tell the family that I have a dr appt tomorrow and then I'm going to go park somewhere and read for 2 hours LOL

MISS VAIN That's a fantastic idea! How funny I did the same thing today. My granny fell last week and broke her vertebrae so her and I have been taking care of her, so we pretended to have a dr. Appt so my dad would take care of her so we ran off and went shopping and lunch for some peace. LOL Unfortunatly I didn't read though, but it felt like a vacation;) good thinking, and goodluck tomorrow ;)))

Christen (GoldiloxReads and Whimsify) LOL You guys are too funny!

MISS VAIN Hey! Desperate times calls for desperate measures ;)

Samina ~ Escapism~ True, I can relate to you guys. I do exactly the same tell the boyfriend I am still in the kitchen but actually I have done all the work and just reading in my reading corner.LOL.
See, GR brings similar people together.

MISS VAIN Lol! Samina when I used to have a BF if I was into a really good book after I was finished at the gym, I would go downstairs where he was working out and I would tell him I've got a headache and I would call him tomorrow LOL

MISS VAIN Even though I'm only getting to read a chapter here and there, I can't wait to get back to this book because Charley is HILARIOUS

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) Samina wrote: "True, I can relate to you guys. I do exactly the same tell the boyfriend I am still in the kitchen but actually I have done all the work and just reading in my reading corner.LOL.
See, GR brings si..."

Luckily it rained yesterday, so I didn't have to make any excuses. I was able to finish the book I was reading and get in over 100 pages on the book I started last night. I feel much better now ;)

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) MISS VAIN wrote: "Even though I'm only getting to read a chapter here and there, I can't wait to get back to this book because Charley is HILARIOUS"

Yea, she is. Makes the book a lot of fun to read.

MISS VAIN Some of her quotes, I want to try to store in my brain for future in case I ever have the opportunity to use them ;)

MISS VAIN Thank you for the recommendation Cat!!!! It was awesome. :)

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) You're very welcome. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. The short story is pretty good too. There's a little bit of Reyes in it ;)

MISS VAIN Oh I'm going to look up the short story tonight because Reye's is one sexy man...

Samina ~ Escapism~ I am glad you got reading time.I am struggling with it too, it's been 2 days since I started Hunt the Moon and I really want to keep reading it but I have had no chance.The book has been exciting that I can't stop reading.Today I woke up early to to get some reading time before I get on the day.

Wow Vain, that idea is awesome...hmm migraine. I shall use the excuse next time.I am glad you liked this book. I was very goo when I read it.Oh yeah and the author has read and 'liked' my review.I was thrilled.

message 21: by Jamie (new) - added it

Jamie Nice review, Vain..I'm going to have to pick this one up.

message 22: by MISS VAIN (last edited Jul 23, 2011 10:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MISS VAIN Samina-Glad your getting a little bit of reading in, and if all else fails migrane LOL!

That's awesome she "liked" your review, Darynda wrote on my profile page "GREAT review" but she didn't click the "like" button. LOL

Jamie-Thanks!! I think you will really like this book and the next one is released August 16, so your timing it perfect :)

Samina ~ Escapism~ Yeah, after I wrote this comment I found your conversation with her.I am so jealous.I have only spoken once with the author Ilona Andrews.That's it.My luck is terrible.I guess I just have to write more reviews.

MISS VAIN No need to be jealous, you got a "like" ;)
I've only spoken with Darynda Jones and Carolyn Crane. You know what's funny is that I wrote Ilona Andrews and expected her to think what I wrote her was funny or perhaps even interesting enough to answer my question I asked her, and she never even gave me the courtesy of a reply LOL. Let's just say our book love affair ended shortly after that!! HAHAHA. ;)

Samina ~ Escapism~ I am sorry that you were disappointed.
We are fans and authors are busy.That is all I can say.Sigh.

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) Samina wrote: "I am sorry that you were disappointed.
We are fans and authors are busy.That is all I can say.Sigh."

Sooo ... what you're saying is that they are better than us? Real nice, Samina ;)

Sarah A. I'm getting in this conversation head-first, I agree with Miss Vain, Ilona Andrews is a great writer but she suck at courtesy! she has no manners when it comes to replying or talking to her fans, her twitter account is almost dedicated to mouthing out about fan-mail! I want to tell her: Gosh woman, get a grip! If you don't want anyone to ever say anything that maybe even remotely annoy you lay off writing (a profession that requires feed-back!)

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) Sarah wrote: "I'm getting in this conversation head-first, I agree with Miss Vain, Ilona Andrews is a great writer but she suck at courtesy! she has no manners when it comes to replying or talking to her fans, h..."

That's why I love reading Stacia Kane's blogs. She loves to complain about complainers LOL

Why would she mouth off about fan-mail? The people sending them are the reason she is successful.

MISS VAIN Sarah wrote: "I'm getting in this conversation head-first, I agree with Miss Vain, Ilona Andrews is a great writer but she suck at courtesy! she has no manners when it comes to replying or talking to her fans, h..."

I agree with you Sarah, Ilona Andrews is a good writer but by no means not my favorite. However I wrote her about Curran and asked if she got her inspiration from Andrew. It wouldn't have hurt her to give me a common courtesy and answer the simple question! In my opinion if you're "Too Good" to answer fans or lack the time to pretend you give a care about what they say then she shouldn't have signed up for a GR account. Plenty of successful authors such Charlaine Harris doesn't actually have an authors profile only a fan profile. I appreciate Harris for that. How hideous to actually gripe about fan mail on twitter?! I would be embarrassed and ashamed because it's us "annoying" fans that help to pave the way to her
success.

MISS VAIN Cat Russell wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I'm getting in this conversation head-first, I agree with Miss Vain, Ilona Andrews is a great writer but she suck at courtesy! she has no manners when it comes to replying or talking ..."

I agree!! Fans are how she earns her paychecks! Plenty of excellent authors go unnoticed due to lack of fan base. Without fans purchasing her books she would be just a really good writer without a publisher, I can think of two fabulously awesome authors right now with publishing issues (myles,
Crane).

I do LOVE it when Stacia Kane goes off on her tangents and rants about complainers, and her most recent when she complained on authors rating their own books! LOL! That was the best, especially when she gave us tips how to decipher from a "real" fan 5 stars and a "real" family member of the author 5 stars. ;) hilarious :)

Samina ~ Escapism~ Wow, I think I just started a rant.LOL.Let me clarify what I meant was writers are busy and it is up to them to reply to fan mail.Some of them are real nice and care to speak with readers and some are not.

Wow Vain,
i have to read the post about 'family 5 stars'.It will be funny.

MISS VAIN Lol! Stacia Kane posted it earlier this week. :)

Samina ~ Escapism~ Yeah I read it just now.I didn't even know such a practice existed. None of the authors I like have done it, I hope.

MISS VAIN I can think of a few authors of mine that have done it and it makes me laugh. One is a YA author and even though I love her series it lame to do that LOL

message 35: by Jamie (new) - added it

Jamie Stacey Jay is another author who is wicked talented that that needs fan support. And she's super nice. She tweeted a request that if you like Dead on the Delta to please put up reviews at GR, B&N, Amazon, etc. I tweeted back that I had posted reviews. She replied with grace and gratitude. Made me kind of love her and take up her cause :)

MISS VAIN Jamie-See I appreciate that when an author is gracious and makes the effort to be grateful for gushing and loyal fans. That's part of why I went out immediately and bought Dead On The Delta when you said she was sweet.

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) My favorite was the ranting about authors who want their readers to buy their book on release day because they want big release day numbers.
I agree with Kane that you shouldn't push your readers to do things like that. Just be grateful that they care enough to buy your work at all. It shouldn't matter what day it's purchased.

MISS VAIN I agree! Her rants are priceless!!! That one was hilarious, for some reason the rant about the ratings and relatives made me laugh so hard at her lesson. She's like the cool girl at school that calls out all the jerks on the playground;) LOL

Samina ~ Escapism~ Blimey! I had no idea authors were like that.Seriously if I find some author asking relatives to rate their books I would be rather annoyed.

Christen (GoldiloxReads and Whimsify) @Samina - So, you know I HAVE to comment on your use of the word "blimey", right? lol I love when you use your UK words! It just tickles my arse! :)

Samina ~ Escapism~ LOl, sometimes I forget that the words kind of stand out.I will try not to tickle your arse, 'mate'.

Christen (GoldiloxReads and Whimsify) No, no, no tickle away!!!

MISS VAIN LOL! You geeks, The Tabby Cat reminds me of a pirate with her comments above :)

Christen (GoldiloxReads and Whimsify) I think a pirate says "Arrrrrrrrrr", not "Arrrrrrrrrrsssssseeee". Could be wrong though...

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) Samina wrote: "LOl, sometimes I forget that the words kind of stand out.I will try not to tickle your arse, 'mate'."

LMAO!! How embarrassing, I actually snorted when I read this!

MISS VAIN Christen Ramos; Tabby wrote: "I think a pirate says "Arrrrrrrrrr", not "Arrrrrrrrrrsssssseeee". Could be wrong though..."

You are correct but it just made think of it since you knew the pirate lingo, remember back when the (pirate) guy talked bad about my pic? Lol. I'm not sure exactly why but it made me think of that! :)

message 47: by Christen (GoldiloxReads and Whimsify) (last edited Jul 24, 2011 07:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christen (GoldiloxReads and Whimsify) I DO remember that! Big meanie! Did he ever say anything else?

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) Christen Ramos; Tabby wrote: "I DO remember that! Big meanie! Did he ever say anything else?"

Oh yeah! I forgot that you're the pirate expert!

I bet he apologized and then asked her over to pet his parrot and dig through his treasure chest.

MISS VAIN Christen Ramos; Tabby wrote: "I DO remember that! Big meanie! Did he ever say anything else?"

No he ignored us! Lol.

MISS VAIN Cat Russell wrote: "Christen Ramos; Tabby wrote: "I DO remember that! Big meanie! Did he ever say anything else?"

Oh yeah! I forgot that you're the pirate expert!

I bet he apologized and then asked her over to pet h..."

I thought you were getting better at keeping secrets Cat???

P.s. Tabby Cat is an excellent pirate expert ;)

« previous 1