Kristi's Reviews > Before I Fall

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Mar 26, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: family, about-kids, friendship, paranormal, ya
Read from April 11 to 12, 2011

Sam is a typical teenage girl, who is stereotypical cast as a popular, shallow, mean girl. What makes her personality even worse is the fact that she used to be one of the shunned ones. She was one of the "uncool" kids who was so horribly picked on in school. Now, she's "morphed" into this pretty, shallow, nasty girl. She is careless with her actions and completely ignorant to the consequences of her actions.

Sam and her girl friends are in a fatal car crash where Sam is killed. This is not a spoiler, this is where the story starts. Sam now relives the day she dies 7 times, trying to fix what was "broke" in her life. If you're thinking this is a "Groundhog's Day" type plot line then you would be right. The author even mentions the show in the book.

In the end, nothing changes except Sam's own mind and heart. Ultimately it doesn't seem as if she's truly made a difference in the lives of those around her, or even in her world in general. Poor Juliet will be hated even more than she ever was in the past for her role in Sam's final day. Kyle will never be the same after Sam's last day. How could he be? There's no way this day won't have a huge negative emotional and mental impact on his life. Sam's "pack" of friends? They will never be capable of understanding how these events came to play.

Overall, there really wasn't any real problem with the writing itself. It keeps you entertained, and there are even points in the story that are satisfactorily suspenseful. However, the story line itself is just not that great. In the end, it just leaves a big sense of dissatisfaction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Fall.

03/07 marked as: read

Debby Thanks for your honest review. I've got this on my TBR thinking it sounded interesting. Now, I'm not so sure, or not anytime soon! It sounds too much like the Groundhog Day idea or just keep trying till you get it right karma sort of thing.

Kaliki I just started this one, and I'm not sure I'm going to like it much. I was hoping for a turn-around, but reading your review, I'm guessing that won't happen.