Anita Pomerantz's Reviews > Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

bookshelves: pbt-monthly-tag

You know how you eat a bag of potato chips? You pull it off the shelf, and you begin with a small handful. And then you take some more. And some more. And before you know it, you are just eating the whole thing. In one fell swoop.

And then you feel a little sick afterward. Not sick to your stomach, but sick that you gobbled all those chips and enjoyed them so dang much when they really aren't good for you AT ALL.

That's pretty much analogous to how I felt about this book.

It was so good going down. And then, at the end. I felt a little gross.

The basic plot is that a young reporter, Camille, returns to her hometown to cover the murder of two pre-teen girls. Slowly, Camille's backstory is revealed, and it's a doozy. She lives with her family while covering the murder story, and the tension of her family life combined with the unresolved murder mystery just amps the book into an incredible page turner.

Flynn sure can propel a reader through a book. She deserves big props for how she cranks up the suspense until you literally can't put the book down.

But was it satisfying? Yeah, not really. Not on a literary level. Not on a cleverness level. Yet, like the potato chips, I'm sure I'll reach for this author's books again and again. And hate myself a little afterward.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sharp Objects.

March 4, 2016 – Started Reading