Peter Timbrell's Reviews > Cautionary Tales: Voices from the Edges

Cautionary Tales by Emmanuelle de Maupassant

Emmanuelle de Maupassant is one of my favourite writers. I was first hooked within an hour of reading The Gentleman's Club and my appetite for her writing has since become unquenchable.

So onto her latest offering, Cautionary Tales: Voices from the Edges. The concept of using nature's voice offering commentary adds an interesting dimension to each of the stories which were inspired by the work of Homer, Chaucer, Boccaccio, Angela Carter and Fay Weldon.

Each tale is, as anyone who may have read Ms Maupassants work, beautifully crafted, evocatively constructed and sensually delivered. I didn't so much read it, I absorbed it. Her work is like the richest of tiramisu, it has to be savoured. It's a work that should be read in the middle of winter, seated close to a roaring fire, book in one hand and a glass of something in the other.

An evocative proposition would be to pass the book around a group of friends and each would read a tale to the group. The end result would be a guaranteed, lust-fuelled romp in front of the same hearth.

Emmanuelle paints such vivid images and her characters became so real I felt them. I love the fact that they were not all perfect in form, but she portrayed them with such clarity and compassion that I envied the deviants who had their wicked way with them.

I bought a copy of Cautionary Tales to sit alongside The Gentleman's Club. Two wonderfully crafted pieces of erotica from the pen of an author I hold in the highest regard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cautionary Tales.

March 1, 2016 – Started Reading