Paul's Reviews > The Last Witness

The Last Witness by K.J. Parker

Video Review: https://youtu.be/kWMF5HJ4kfA?t=41s

The Last Witness by K.J. Parker was an excellent novella that I absolutely loved. This is my first experience with K.J. Parker but it will not be my last as this is one of my favorite reads of 2017. It is a fantasy novella about a guy who can remove the memories of other people and gain those memories for himself. This can take a toll on him because he has a hard time distinguishing between what happened to him and what happened to other people. He is able to use his talent to make some serious money when criminals approach him to take away the memories of witnesses. He then becomes a witness to what these criminals did and is now the criminal's only individual that knows what happens other than them. Well, he has to go on the run because the criminals end up not trusting him to hold their secret. He then is able to take the memory and talent of other individuals to create his own life elsewhere. When his past catches up with him, what he thinks happened, may not be what actually happened.

Such a great novella that was written in a fantastic style. It was one part Sopranos and another part Once Upon a Time. I look forward to reading much more from K.J. Parker in the future.

5/5
21/25 Possible Score
5 - Plot
3 - Characters
4 - World Building
5 - Writing Style
4 - Heart & Mind Aspect

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Witness.

March 3, 2016 – Shelved