Hira's Reviews > Graffiti Moon

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Mar 26, 2011

bookshelves: ya, contemporary, aussie-nz, high-expectations, favorites-2011
Read from August 14 to November 10, 2011

“Mum says when wanting collides with getting, that's the moment of truth. I want to collide. I want to run right into Shadow and let the force spill our thoughts so we can pick each other up and pass each other back like piles of shiny stones.”

This is a book that shows what teenagers are really like. Searching, exploring, always trying to find some meaning in life.

It's the end of Year 12, and Lucy is out searching for Shadow, a graffiti artist whose work is all over the city, but no one knows where he is. Ed, a guy Lucy would rather forget about, knows where he is, and so they take off around the city at night.

This takes place over a night, but there's no zing, bam, look in each others eyes, instant love. In fact, there's some hilarious arse grabbing, earlobe piercing, and nose breaking instead.

I loved Lucy's character, I could relate to her so much. She's an innocent, honest girl, and a bit crazy at times. She's not afraid to speak the truth and when she wants something, she goes for it. Oh, and she's a glassblower which is pretty awesome.

“I liked that he had hair that was growing without a plan. A grin that came out of nowhere and left the same way.”

Ed is a high school dropout, who had the misfortune to go out with Lucy in Year 10. He lost his job, and the closest thing he had to a father a while ago. So now he's...lost. And we see how Lucy finds him.

All the characters were very fun to read about, you can't help but fall in love with them all. The only down point for this would be that I didn't get into it enough to want to finish it immediately. It wasn't all that engrossing, and I didn't care much for Poet's writing. I do look forward to reading more Cath Crowley in the future though!

“For a while, for as long as you're looking at it, that painting is the world and you get to be in it.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graffiti Moon.

Quotes Hira Liked

Cath Crowley
“You were right. Real is better. The truth is better. It makes you feel kind of stupid, but it's better.”

“You grabbed my arse.'
'You broke my nose.”
Cath Crowley, Graffiti Moon

08/14/2011 "So I've been wanting to read this for quite a while...I just found out it was available from Netgalley. And sadly, I've got homework to do now. *headdesks*" 2 comments
08/14/2011 page 9
3.0% ""I'm so close to meeting him, and I want it so bad. Mum says when wanting collides with getting, that's the moment of truth. I want to collide. I want to run right into Shadow and let the force spill our thoughts so we can pick each other up and pass each other back likes piles of shiny stones.""
08/21/2011 page 39
15.0% "Haha, the arse grabbing was hilarious"
11/05/2011 page 110
42.0% ""Did you know we're made up of the same matter as stars? We are nuclear energy exploding.""
11/05/2011 page 130
49.0% ""I want Reese's peanut butter cups to come in king size, but it's never going to happen." Someone who understands!" 1 comment
11/10/2011 page 174
66.0% ""Her words are pictures, and I'm painting them on the wall in my head as she talks.""
11/10/2011 page 244
92.0% ""Real is better. The truth is better. It makes you feel kind of stupid, but it's better.""
show 2 hidden updates…