Shelley's Reviews > The Invincible Iron Man, Volume 1

The Invincible Iron Man, Volume 1 by Matt Fraction

bookshelves: 2016, graphic-novel-comics

Two storylines in one: Ezekiel Stane is out to destroy Tony and Stark Industries by creating a cheap and upgraded version of Iron Man for terrorist purposes, then Norman Osbourne is out to finish destroying Tony after Civil War as the Dark Reign begins. I dislike Civil War very much, but I really hate Dark Reign--so imagine my surprise when I was bowled over by this.

The Stane story clearly was meant to give movie fans (2008) a connection to the comics, and it was pretty solid. Lots of action and adventure, with some good character moments. Especially as Pepper gets an arc reactor, though hers isn't a weapon and can't be weaponized.

The Osbourne stuff--I initially was going to sort of skim, because I can't stand all his mustache twirling evilness. I get twitchy. But then I realized that as much as it was Tony's story, Maria and Pepper were co-leads, and this was the best Maria in the comics I have seen yet. I adored her kickassness, and it was the first time she felt genuinely human. Yes, she was bitchy to Pepper, constantly referring to her as a secretary and thinking very little of her, but she worked through things. It was great to see Pepper being so involved in the action, and driving things forward. I got so sucked in. Loved Natasha, and her protecting Bucky with all she had. (Just as Pepper protected Tony. Love.) I got frustrated by once again, a use of "retarded" in a Marvel comic, though. Come ON, Fraction, be better than that.

This story does add a lot of depth to what I knew of Dark Reign and I appreciate Tony a lot more than I have in the past. It ends on a killer cliffhanger, and I'm glad I have vol 2 already checked out. Obviously someone will reverse everything that happened, that was always a given, but I can't wait to see how.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invincible Iron Man, Volume 1.

February 28, 2016 – Started Reading