Stacie's Reviews > A Buss from Lafayette

A Buss from Lafayette by Dorothea Jensen

Mar 03, 2016

bookshelves: to-read, reviews

A Buss from Lafayette is an exquisitely detailed and beautifully penned historical fiction novel that chronicles a week's worth of events that ultimately transform a girl into a budding young woman.

It's the summer of 1825 and General Lafayette is on a farewell tour as the Nation's Guest. People are lining up in the big cities just to catch a glimpse of this remarkable man who helped secure America's freedom from the British.

At the same time, in the small town of Hopkinton a girl named Clara Hargraves is celebrating her fourteenth birthday. However, Clara's celebrating is cut short when she's informed by her stepmother, who was/is also her aunt, that she is now a young woman and must start behaving as one. No more riding astride, no more wearing her brother's breeches, and certainly no more swimming in the pond. Clara's not sure what's worse, her red hair or her stepmother who seems to be trying to ruin her life. On top of all this she's been getting a funny feeling every time she's around her brother's friend, and her previous tormentor, Dickon Weeks and she's just discovered her hideous cousin Hetty is coming for a visit. Could things get any worse? Clara's about to find out and what unfolds just may change her life.

I am a big fan of historical fiction and was thrilled at the opportunity of reviewing A Buss from Lafayette and I must say the author does not disappoint. The rich detail and vivid storytelling make it easy to fall into this story. I felt as though I was transported back in time to experience life with Clara and could feel the excitement in the air as the town was a buzz with the talk of Lafayette.

The author also makes her characters easy to relate to which gives the story a sense of timelessness. It's easy to understand Clara's emotional struggles of accepting her stepmother, her nervousness around a certain young man, and her desire to fit in when all her red hair does is stand out. Readers will also be able to identify with the stepmother who wants to be loved and welcomed by her stepchildren, but is also dealing with the pain of losing her sister.

I think one of my favorite aspects of the story is how the author is able to weave a history lesson throughout the daily lives of her characters. Sitting around the dinner table, visiting in town, or chatting after church seem so natural that it's easy to become engrossed in the story and forget you're learning.

Kudos to Dorothea Jensen for a splendidly told tale. I highly recommend picking up a copy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Buss from Lafayette.

March 3, 2016 – Shelved